SAMSOG General Discussion
Moderator(s): Ginger W. Jones
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
>
>>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Surveying Military Base 0 P. Sanchez When surveying a military base, such as a National Guard base, does the surveyor need to be licensed in the state that the base is in? Someone mentioned to me that engineers do not need to be licensed in the same state as the base. Anyone have experience with this?
by P. Sanchez
Friday, September 13, 2019
Surveyors Records 12 D. May Quote: Originally posted by D. May: As many of you know, I maintain a spreadsheet of the location of the records of surveyors who have closed, merged, retired or passed away.  As all of you know, when it comes to plats and deeds a picture can truly be worth a thousand words.  These old plats are invaluable to the conscientious surveyor.  If anyone would like this spreadsheet then email me.  If you see any errors or would like to add to the list then let me know.  And feel free to pass it on. Happy researching, David David will you send me a copy please.
by J. Harbeson
Friday, September 13, 2019
Milton Robert Lemon Records 1 J. Higgins Just emailed the records spreadsheet to you Jaime. Mr. Lemon's contact info is in there.David
by D. May
Friday, September 6, 2019
Name changes and dates on plats 2 M. Chastain I'll weigh in on this one too, I've been asked to just "change the date" many times and I have always insisted that we do a full field update with new title opinion and adjoiner research, which might cost almost as much as the original. I've never had an attorney to refuse to allow me to do this. I simply tell them that our rules do not allow us to just change the date, that we must truly update the entire survey, especially if it is an ALTA. Most of the time changes have been made to ALTA rules since the original was done anyway so we must make the required changes or additions.
by S. Coleman
Wednesday, August 21, 2019
Legal Descriptions 7 J. Green Your experience is exactly mine. I agree that no more than 1% of closing attorneys and title researchers include adjoining property, and that is being generous. I've never asked one about this and just assumed that their perspective is different than mine. To my recollection, I have never surveyed any property without including the adjacent properties in my deed and plat research, in fact, many times I wind up with more deeds and plats of the adjoining property than the subject property which is just as important.
by S. Coleman
Mathis Surveyors 0 J. Higgins Anyone know if Glenn Mathis' records are accessible?
by J. Higgins
Record of Lee Engineering 0 M. Lincoln Does anyone know who might have the records of Lee Engineering, C.E. Lee, LS 1093?
by M. Lincoln
Friday, August 16, 2019
Backup Software 0 C. Branscom Need recommendations for a good backup software. We did have NTI ver 4 but it is no longer available. I tried the newer version and do not like the way the software works.
by C. Branscom
Monday, August 5, 2019
HP Plotter Repair 2 M. Lincoln Thanks
by M. Lincoln
Monday, July 29, 2019
Northern Boundary of Georgia--Again; and Macon-Bibb/Monroe Boundary 1 Farris Cadle, Inc. Governor Kemp vetoed House Resolution 51 which would have created a commission to study the possibility of moving the northern boundary of Georgia.  Go to  https://static.votesmart.org/static/vetotext/67531.pdf and scroll down to near the bottom.  I suppose Kemp has had his fill of boundary issues as a result of dealing with the Macon-Bibb/Monroe situation.
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Monday, July 29, 2019
Subdivision By Deed 1 J. Higgins See posts below under "Ethics Question", July 20, 2018.  City and county engineers tell me that water, sewerage, and electrical services, and trash pickup and street and other maintenance can be denied to such illegal subdivisions.  I would be interested to know of any instances in which this has been done, so I can tell that to the next attorney who asks me to make a plat to enable him/her do such.  
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Tuesday, July 23, 2019
Northern Boundary of Georgia--Again 3 Farris Cadle, Inc. Lets not forget about the on going issue regarding the county line dispute between Monroe County and Bibb County.................
by D. Collins
Monday, July 15, 2019
2019 Summer Meeting 0 D. Collins Looking forward to seeing everyone next week.
by D. Collins
Saturday, July 13, 2019
GLS Archives New Projects 6 J. Lewis Josh IV, I've had a lot of folks run this by me, and I've not been on the forum in several weeks or I would have responded sooner.  Here's my two cents worth: 1. I agree that the GDOT system isn't great but we've learned to search it many ways and seldom have to send in a request.  My understanding is that GDOT is going through a multi-step process from the days when all plans were in drawers organized by project number downtown.  The steps go from scanning, to renaming, to entering into their system, and then to georeference the project on their GIS platform.  The first thing that we do is draw the search box on their map and see if it pulls anything up.  This in my experience is successful about half of the time, sometimes more and sometimes less.  The project number for some reason is seldom a viable search query, and most deeds don't have PIDs which usually do work 95+% of the time.  We'll do a refined search and include the highway number (i.e. SR56) but that doesn't always work because some roads weren't state routes at the time, and some route numbers have been changed.  What works a lot if you have it is the description of the project, such as "Doraville to Hapeville Road", I'll often filter by county and one of the towns that the project connected.  It's usually stated on the right of way deed, but if you don't have the right of way deed one can guess by the towns on each end of that section of state route.  They have folks working on it, it's just a slow process. 2. You are obviously more experienced and knowledgeable on indexing software, and GLS Archives has become a very valuable search tool that we refer to often.  But, I can't figure out how this would be indexed such that it could be searchable in an efficient manner.  For example, if I'm in a GMD between Ocilla and Fitgerald, how would GLS help point me to the appropriate and most current set of plans fronting the property that I'm surveying?  You may can find a way to index by mile post or street address?  If that's possible than it would be a big help and I'd probably be willing to jump over to your site and pay $10 but a plan sheet rather than searching myself.  I also think about all of the state projects that might turn up in a land lot search in Gwinnett County, and how to sort through those.  Again, you may have a plan that would make it very helpful and efficient, and if so I personally would likely use it. 3. The plans are public information.  I would not worry about the "political side" just yet, if ever.  Download them from GDOT and start indexing them.  A thorough indexing exercise would most likely shed light on what is not available on the website and you could request the missing pieces then.  If you searched (and downloaded) by county, I think you may could get everything there is including what is not georeferenced yet, and you might not need anything else, I'm not sure.  I'd be surprised if political help were necessary with this approach, but I guess you never know. In summary, I support and appreciate your efforts.  If you are able to get GDOT plans into GLS Archives in a manner that can be effectively searched, I think that folks would use it and pay for the scans.  I think that technically/legally you wouldn't be charging for the scans, as they are public information, instead you would be charging for the sorting, searching, and delivery of the (free) scans just like people pay for public records searches all of the time.  If I can help, let me know. MEC
by M. Chastain
Tuesday, June 25, 2019
Ray Allgood Records 0 J. Higgins Anyone know if Ray Allgood's previous records are accessible, or who the caretaker might be?
by J. Higgins
Wednesday, May 8, 2019
Ansel Poe 2 M. Lincoln Thanks
by M. Lincoln
Monday, April 29, 2019
2019 NSPS Annual Student Competition 1 W. Powers Great job!
by D. Collins
Friday, April 26, 2019
Trespass 1 M. Lincoln I don't think a surveyor would be arrested for trespass unless he had been forewarned by the authorities not to trespass.  If he were doing criminal damage of some sort then that might be different.  If you're told to get off of someone's property then that's what you should do.  With today's reflectorless technology (not to mention just turning an angle from two different points) it would seem that one could stay off of an adjoiner’s property if absolutely necessary.  But to save a lot of time and sweat, I would tread lightly and discreetly. Good luck, David
by D. May
Monday, March 11, 2019
W. W. Coleman & Associates 0 S. Coleman Someone asked me if I knew a surveyor named W. W. Coleman who retired in the early 1970's.  This person has a picture of an old stone building with WW Coleman on a wooden door.   Does anyone have any ideas?
by S. Coleman
Wednesday, February 6, 2019
2019 SAMSOG Plat Contest Winners 0 R. Purcell Hi All: RE: 2019 SAMSOG Plat Contest Winners: The 2019 SAMSOG Plat Contest Winners are as follows: ALTA Plats 1st Place: Shane Rousey                              2nd Place: Lewis Shelton Donaldson, Garrett & Assoc.                          LRS Surveying Macon, GA                                                      Cartersville, GA Boundary Plats 1st Place: Darin Cain                                    2nd Place: Adam Baxley London Land Surveying & Assoc.                  Land Engineering, Inc. Cleveland, GA                                                McDonough, GA   Topographical Plats 1st Place: Brian Hewes                                 2nd Place: Adam Baxley Land Engineering, Inc.                                    Land Engineering, Inc. McDonough, GA                                             McDonough, GA Subdivision Plats 1st Place: Jason Woods                                2nd Place: Chris Patton Harris Gray, LLC                                             Patton Land Surveying West Point, GA                                               Gainesville, GA   Miscellaneous Maps 1st Place: Robyn White                                 2nd Place: Jason Woods Patton Land Surveying                                   Harris Gray, LLC Gainesville, GA                                               West Point, GA   GIS Maps 1st Place: Katina Whittier                             2nd Place: Brian Lackey Chatham County Engineering                        Columbus Consolidated Gov’t Savannah, GA                                                Columbus, GA   Thanks to everyone that participated. First place winners will be entered into the 2019 national NSPS Plat Competition. Thank you: Roger Purcell 
by R. Purcell
Wednesday, January 23, 2019
more Calendar

9/28/2019
Board & General Membership Meeting

9/30/2019
Foothills Chapter Meeting

1/16/2020 » 1/18/2020
2020 Technical Seminar

Contact Us

SAMSOG
P.O. Box 778