SAMSOG General Discussion
Moderator(s): Ginger W. Jones
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
>
>>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
William Howard "Billy" Veal, GA LS #1448, R.I.P. 0 M. Lincoln I am sad to report the death of my good friend Billy Veal.  He started his surveying career with Watts & Browning in 1955, the same year I was born.  In 1965 Billy, together with Tom Wilson and Wiley Busbin, formed Delta Engineering & Surveying, where Billy worked until 1980 when he started his own practice.  He was also VP of Land Development for Beazer Homes from 1985-1991.  Whenever Billy was mentioned in my conversations with other surveyors of my acquaintance, the universal opinion of him was of great respect and high esteem.    He will be missed.   Obituary link:  https://www.caldwellandcowan.com/obituary/WilliamHowardBilly-Veal
by M. Lincoln
Tuesday, September 22, 2020
Charles David Norton 2 J. Higgins (770) 466-7720 has been disconnected.
by J. Higgins
Friday, September 18, 2020
Derenne Boundary Monuments 0 Farris Cadle, Inc.           I would like to describe one of several surveying incidents that have particularly peeved me.  First, the background.  Noble Jones came to Georgia with the very first group of colonists in 1733 and was appointed the public surveyor for the colony.  He prospered and was soon recognized as one of the leading persons in Georgia.  He acquired, through grants and purchases, several tracts of land throughout the colony.  Among the tracts he acquired were the following, all adjoining and within the Savannah Township:   Farm Lots 1, 5, and 7, Third Tything, Anson Ward; Farm Lots 1-5, 7, 8, Portion of 9, Western Farm Trust Lot, and Eastern Farm Trust Lot, Fourth Tything, Anson Ward; Farm Lots 8, 9, and 10, Wilmington Tything, Darby Ward; Portion of one of the 500-acre tracts.             He named the whole “Poplar Grove Plantation”.  Today it is bounded, generally, on the west by Montgomery Street, and on the east by Waters Avenue.  Attached is a copy of a portion of the 1875 map and a portion of the 1906 map of Chatham County on which John Brannen of the city of Savannah drew the outlines of Poplar Grove.           The property passed, intact, down through Noble Jones’s family.  In 1890 John R. Tebeau resurveyed the tract for the estate of George Wymberley Jones Derenne, great grandson of Noble Jones.  Tebeau’s survey shows the tract containing 805 ½ acres.  There is no natural stone in coastal Georgia.  The family had rough-squared slate stones custom-cut in New England, inscribed “DER”, shipped down for Tebeau to set at the corners.  Tebeau’s plat, recorded in Map Book 1, page 107, with a redrawing in Map Book 2, page 166, in the Chatham County clerk’s office, shows each corner (there are twelve of them) marked by these stones.  The stones measure about 4 inches by 8 inches in width and thickness and stand about 20 inches above the ground.           Several years ago we were hired to survey a tract of land on Abercorn Street that adjoined Poplar Grove.  The area was undergoing intense commercial development.  The tract we were surveying, and the adjoining tract, were both to be developed.  When we initially went on the property, one of the Derenne boundary stones, which marked a common corner of our tract and the adjoining tract, was intact and undisturbed.  The surveyor who had just surveyed the adjoining tract set an iron pin about six feet from the Derenne stone, called that the corner, and labeled the Derenne stone “Tombstone.”  When we went back on the property a few days later, the Derenne stone was gone.  The hole where it had been had been carefully filled with dirt and the area where it had stood had been deliberately covered over with leaves and pine straw to hide the fact that it had been there.  We could get no explanation as to who removed the stone, but it is only logical to conclude that the adjoining landowner, seeing a “Tombstone” on his land and taking the surveyor’s word that a cemetery was there, clandestinely removed it so it could not potentially interfere with his development.           The surveyor is to blame for causing the removal of such an ancient and important landmark.  Based on the description of the property he put in the title block on his plat, he had no idea he was surveying part of a Farm Lot of Savannah Township and had no idea it was part of Poplar Grove Plantation.  He obviously did not research the property in the courthouse.  If he had, he would have had the Tebeau plat, and if he did not know otherwise, would have readily perceived from the Tebeau plat that the stone was not a tombstone but a property corner.  We were surveying a tract that adjoined Poplar Grove; but, we researched Poplar Grove and the other adjoining tracts, used the Teabeau plat and the deeds for these other adjoining tracts in ascertaining the boundaries of the property we were surveying, and the Derenne stone was (should have been) one of the corners of our tract.  
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Tuesday, September 8, 2020
Workload 2 D. Collins Real estate is booming in Coastal Georgia because of low interest rates.
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Tuesday, September 8, 2020
Property Line Adjustments 4 N. Johnston Mark do you think maybe certification iv would be appropriate? That way I am not certifying that no changes were made to the boundaries, when in fact I am making changes to the boundaries. But I would just be saying that this type of plat does not have to be reviewed. Have another client wanting to sell a small strip of land to the neighbor, and they were allegedly told by the City of Atlanta that the plat would not need to be reviewed. Thanks again.
by N. Johnston
Friday, August 21, 2020
US Foot 0 M. Lincoln Here's a link to an interesting article from today's Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/18/science/foot-surveying-metrology-dennis.html
by M. Lincoln
Tuesday, August 18, 2020
SAMSOG MEMBERSHIP 0 D. Olson It is time to renew your membership.  Memberships expire June 30th. Thanks to all for your continued support in the Surveying and Mapping Society of Georgia. Looking forward to seeing everyone in Savannah.
by D. Olson
Monday, June 29, 2020
Civil Design, Inc. Records 0 J. Higgins Anyone know if Civil Design, Inc.'s survey records are accessible? The firm was doing business in DeKalb County in the mid 80's. I'm not sure where their office was located.
by J. Higgins
Monday, June 22, 2020
Joe Robison 0 J. Green Mr. Joseph Lanier "Joe" Robison, age 61 of Griffin, Georgia passed away Wednesday, March 18, 2020.  Joe was born February 12, 1959 in Griffin, Georgia and is preceded in death by his parents, Ray Robison and JoAnn Sansom Robison Atchison; and brother, Donnie Robison. A graduate of Georgia Tech, Joe finished his career as the Engineering Director for Fayette County.  In that capacity he was integral to the design and delivery of various County projects.  It was evident to all that he enjoyed his job, and the people, very much.  He took particular pride mentoring younger people in the engineering and design professions. Joe was also Part owner of Robison Stanley & Company Surveyors and Engineers. Joe certainly was “a Hell of an Engineer!” Joe is survived by his sister, Pamela Robison Berghoff, sister-in-law Debbie Robison, and nephews Randy (Shannon) Robison, Sean Robison, and Justin (Bethany) Berghoff.   A graveside funeral service will on June 19, 2020 at 11 am in the old section of Oak Hill Cemetery. family will receive friends at the cemetery.
by J. Green
Thursday, June 18, 2020
CEU's 0 C. Branscom Does anyone know if the erosion control class Intro. to Design counts as valid ceu's?
by C. Branscom
Tuesday, June 9, 2020
Video Presentation about Historic Savannah City Maps 1 Farris Cadle, Inc. Thanks, Farris. Very interesting video of Savannah’s history. It also took me to a website regarding the Coastal Jazz Society and a reference to a man who was my mentor in Jazz, Claude Rhea, pianist. Thanks, again. Bill Duggan
by W. Duggan
Sunday, May 17, 2020
Quadra-Tech 1 M. Lincoln Wally Hambrick had another Company I think it was called Hambrick and Associates I believe there were a lot of "Old timers" ran through Quadra-Tech some of them should chime in..
by T. Peay
Saturday, May 16, 2020
Robert S Cleveland records 1 J. Gunnin That is Shane Cleveland. I am not sure if he is still working in the profession. If you will email me at samwalker1@tds.net, I can send you his contract information.
by H. Walker
Wednesday, April 29, 2020
Horlbeck & Associates 0 J. Harbeson Does anyone know how to get plats from Horlbeck & Associates?
by J. Harbeson
Monday, April 13, 2020
Stolen VX DR Plus 0 R. Patten Please be on the look out for a Trimble VX DR Plus Serial Number 93710740. Stolen in the area of Barge Road SW Atlanta GA 30331 <iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m14!1m8!1m3!1d1178.7951988284308!2d-84.50688844259103!3d33.69022772375903!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x88f51dee811fc837%3A0xed9463e128b31b95!2sBarge%20Rd%20SW%2C%20Atlanta%2C%20GA%2030331!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1586465455659!5m2!1sen!2sus" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0;" allowfullscreen="" aria-hidden="false" tabindex="0"></iframe>    
by R. Patten
Thursday, April 9, 2020
Small Business Paycheck Protection Program 0 T. Turk Hello Fellow SAMSOG Members: For those of you that have your own firms, I strongly encourage you to investigate the "SBA Paycheck Protection Program" aka "CARES" program being offered by the SBA/Federal Government.  This is in response to the Covid-19 crisis we are all experiencing.  This program will provide your company with a loan to be used for payroll and other expenses.  As long as you use the money specifically for certain uses, including payroll, the loan will be FORGIVABLE.   The Cobb Chamber of Commerce held a seminar on March 31, 2020 providing a great overview of this program.  I encourage you to investigate this if you own and operate a surveying firm!   Here is the link to the informative video (it is long - about 1.5 hours, but very informative).     Link to video... and - here is the link to apply for the loan:  https://home.treasury.gov/cares Be safe out there folks  ~ Trent Turk
by T. Turk
Wednesday, April 1, 2020
Covid-19 - Field work 1 K. Colburn We have already decided no hotels or restaurants so we're packing lunches and driving 6+ hours round trip somedays since we are state wide. We work for municipalities so we are considered essential for infrastructure.
by A. Tomberlin
Sunday, March 22, 2020
National Surveyors Week 0 T. Peay National Surveyors Week
by T. Peay
Tuesday, March 17, 2020
New FEMA Flood Certification Form 1 J. Green The form and instructions are also posted on the SAMSOG website under the "Latest News" tab.
by G. Jones
Monday, March 16, 2020
Mid Atlantic Surveying Co, Inc. 1 M. Chastain searching https://ecorp.sos.ga.gov/BusinessSearch I found that the CEO for Mid Atlantic was Kenneth W. Reese who had previously owned Kenco Engineering. He operated out of Smyrna. Maybe some of the Cobb surveyors know him. Hope that helps.
by S. Payne
Tuesday, February 18, 2020
more Calendar

9/26/2020
Board & General Membership Meeting

1/14/2021 » 1/16/2021
Technical Seminar

Contact Us

SAMSOG
P.O. Box 778
Douglasville, GA 30133-0778

TEL 770-947-1767