7/19/2018 » 7/21/2018
2018 ANNUAL MEETING & SUMMER CONVENTION

SAMSOG General Discussion
|<
<
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Job Listings Issue 0 T. Turk Hello Fellow SAMSOG Members - we currently have an issue with our website related to job postings.   The "Job Listings" link under "Publications" does not work.  You will find current job listings located under "Resources", and then "Careers".      There are several companies advertising for help right now!  ThanksTrent
by T. Turk
Friday, June 27, 2014
Meridian Surveying Records 1 M. Lincoln I believe his records are at Travis Pruitt
by L. Brown
Friday, June 13, 2014
Free Scaner 1 J. Lewis The scanner has found a good home.Josh 4
by J. Lewis
Friday, May 9, 2014
SPSU wins the NSPS student competition 2014 0 L. Sears Congratulations are in order ! This year's competition was for the students to complete an ALTA/ACSM Survey of a maximum five acre commercial site.  The competition was divided into three categories: Binder with all supporting documentation, plat of survey (24" X 36") size and a presentation of no more than 20 minutes (to be presented to your client i.e. the NSPS judges - total of five) about your findings conducting the survey as well as explaining "what you did and why did it" based upon the Teams submitted Final Plat of Survey. The Teams they competed against were from Fresno State, CA; Utah Valley; Oregon Institute of Technology; New Mexico Institute of Technology, Michigan Tech, New Jersey Institute of Technology and Penn State. The SPSU team placed 1st !!!! I am happy to say I saw all of the presentations, and our kids ROCKED !!! It was a great experience.
by L. Sears
Thursday, April 17, 2014
Recording Requirments 0 J. Lewis I would like to start a discussion about the Secretary of State’s recording requirements for plat maps.   I have thought about writing on this subject for some time and with the new SAMSOG webpage now seems like as good a time as any.First, 200 dpi in black and white just is not cutting it. Print and scanning technology is moving at warp speed and we just took a step back to the late 1700’s. The stone and copper lithographic prints were much better than what the record rooms can reproduce when the image is scanned in at 200dpi “one bit color”. That is what the state’s requirements are, one bit color. HAH!  If you don’t understand what one bit color is imagine a square of Christmas lights. Kind of like an old Light Bright toy if you ever had one. Each light represents a pixel on your computer monitor or a droplet of ink on your plotter. Under the current requirements there can only be two colors, black or white, per light. This leaves out so much detail. If you were to shade a sewer easement then all the text in the easement is lost because the computer can only show black or white. There is no shading. Second what is the use in showing the signature in contrasting ink if the scan does not pick it up? Here is a scanned image of the first map of the city of Atlanta. It was printed in 1853, it is so much better than a modern survey printed at the record room. I know that we can do so much better that is what is frustrating.  My 2 centsJosh Lewis 4
by J. Lewis
Tuesday, April 1, 2014
GPS on Benchmarks are still needed 1 L. Sears To the Professional Surveyors of Georgia,             There is a national effort being endorsed by the National Society of Professional Surveyors (NSPS) and the National Geodetic Survey (NGS) to improve benchmarks in the USA. Our state organization of SAMSOG and the Geospatial Committee hopes that each chapter (if not each surveyor) will participate in this worthy endeavor. Below is a copy of the description of the campaign from the NGS web site.             The geoid accuracy in Georgia is poor compared to other states. This effort will improve this accuracy on and around the benchmarks you choose to occupy. The map below shows the areas in need of improved accuracy. Most of Georgia is included in the poorer areas. This campaign could help us a lot for future survey vertical accuracy.             The best scenario would be to occupy several benchmarks in your area during and after National Surveyors Week. The more we can occupy, the better GPS derived heights will be in the future. A coordination effort should prevent duplicate observations.             Please send this information to your chapter members and organize a local campaign to occupy as many benchmarks as you can during National Surveyors week. Public places would be good so the surveyor can be seen and be given a chance to explain a little about surveying to the public. Here is the link to the NGS page http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/heightmod/GPSonBM.shtml             Please send me a report of your chapters interest and their commitment to this campaign. Please Do Not wait until your next scheduled meeting! The planning and coordination will not take a lot of time and your members will need to make plans to participate.             Once you receive an OPUS report on a benchmark, please forward it to me so I can keep a tally on the number our state completed. If I can be of assistance, please call me. My contact info is at the bottom of this email. 2014 GPS on Bench Marks Campaign NGS encourages anyone with survey-grade Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers to join the 2014 GPS on Bench Marks Campaign, a National Surveyors Week (March 16-22) event to raise awareness about professional surveying while improving the National Spatial Reference System (NSRS).   Why Participate? The nation’s height system, the North American Datum of 1988 (NAVD88), is founded on historic geodetic leveling surveys on thousands of bench marks that are often difficult and expensive to access. By adding GPS coordinates to these marks, the height system can be modeled in GPS survey systems for easier access. The latest hybrid geoid model,GEOID12A , includes many “GPS on bench mark” observations, but would benefit from additional data collection in many areas   How to Participate: 1.     Find local bench marks using the NGS Data Explorer or DSWorld . Review the corresponding datasheet to make sure it is a 1st- or 2nd-order NAVD 88 bench mark.  2.     Pick the best bench marks to help improve the nation’s height system. If using DSWorld, view the GEOID12A accuracy map, and prioritize NAVD 88 bench marks in the areas that are yellow or orange on the map. 3.     Visit your bench mark of interest and make sure it has a durable, stable setting, with good satellite visibility.  4.     Record a description and take photos of the bench mark to aid future recovery. (See optional observer field log and preview the upload form) 5.     Collect your data following careful field procedures. You should: a.     Collect a 4+ hour GPS data file b.     Verify antenna type, height, and plumb c.     Use a fixed height tripod (recommended), and brace the legs with sandbags or chain 6.     Share your data by uploading to OPUS using option 'share my solution.'.   What happens next? NGS will use your data to improve the next hybrid geoid model, increasing access to NAVD 88, and enabling conversions to the new vertical datum in 2022. Here is a map of the geoid uncertainties in Georgia. Green is +/- 2 cm, Yellow is +/- 4 cm, Orange is +/- 8 cm at the 95% confidence level. The goal is to turn this map completely green.
by L. Sears
Tuesday, April 1, 2014
Sign In
Sign In securely

Sustaining Members