SAMSOG General Discussion
|<
<
1 | 2 | 3 |
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Decline in number of surveyors 7 Farris Cadle, Inc. I'm a free market guy; so I believe supply and demand will alleviate many of the salary and job availability issues listed previously. It's already starting to happen, and employers like myself are having a hard time finding qualified employees as the economy gains momentum.That said, there is no doubt the surveying profession is at a crossroads and among other things, needs to do a much better job attracting young people and college graduates. Neither of my own sons has any interest in surveying as a career. One is working on his four year degree in computer science, the other is a business major and wants to obtain an MBA. The problem starts early. Perhaps even in elementary school. Math, science, engineering, surveying,.....none of these endeavors are viewed as glamorous, and surveying in particular comes up short when competing against most engineering disciplines. I've done a lot of presentations at High School career days, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the outreach efforts needed.
by K. Seiler
Monday, June 29, 2015
Problems recording plats of existing property even with statement 4 E. Cowherd There is a Mr. Doug Hawkins listed as a registered surveyor in Georgia (although his current license status is lapsed). Out of professional courtesy you should contact him and make him aware of the law. Be sure to give him the statute for his reference. I'm confident as a fellow professional he has no intent of breaking the law.
by J. Leslie
Thursday, June 18, 2015
Plat Law & GMDs 0 L. Brown Was the omission of showing the GMDs in the Plat Law on purpose? I cannot imagine a good reason for not showing the GMD in the Headright Grant section of the state. Maybe I am missing something.
by L. Brown
Wednesday, June 17, 2015
Records of Mayes Sudderth & Etheredge 2 M. Paulk I work for Croy Engineering, and we do have all of the old MSE records.If you need anything, feel free to contact me at 770-971-5407.-Zach Buffington
by Z. Buffington
Wednesday, June 3, 2015
Hydrology Exam 3 D. Youngblood Thanks! I just got the samsog manual in and am reviewing the problems as well as from my introudction to hydrology book from college.
by D. Youngblood
Tuesday, June 2, 2015
Source for rebars and stakes 2 L. Brown Thanks for the info.
by L. Brown
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
Need DOT contact info 0 Farris Cadle, Inc. I need a copy of the deed for the right of way of U.S. Highway 17, also known as Georgia Highway 303, in Brunswick, immediately northeastward of the Turtle River.  I am unable to find it in the courthouse.  I've tried to contact the DOT to find out when this right of way was acquired, and other info about it, but all I get is recordings to leave a message and they will get back in touch, which I do, and they don't call back.  Does anyone have contact info for someone at the DOT in Atlanta who can provide this information and will respond?  Thanks in advance.
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Friday, May 1, 2015
Topcon DS 205 0 L. Atkinson I purchased a new Topcon instrument about a year ago and in December while running a traverse the angle spread between direct and reverse started widening out of and acceptable range. The instrument was taken back to the shop for calibration and has yet to be fixed, it was returned to me in February and when I set it up or tried to, I couldn't get it level or couldn't be certain it was over the point. It was returned to the shop, where it was sent to Kansas to have the manufacture check it. Since then its been phone tag and no instrument! Has anyone else experienced this level of difficulty with this instrument?
by L. Atkinson
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Update on Surveying Program Deactivation at Middle Georgia State College 2 R. Purcell What are the current options available for meeting the state's minimum education requirements? At one time Southern Poly had a certificate program and there was at least one correspondence program that met state requirements.
by J. Higgins
Wednesday, April 8, 2015
PROFESSIONALISM 1 T. Scarborough, RLS Professional Liability insurance agents tell us to never give a guarantee or a warranty. However, it appears that we have many surveyors so scare of liability that they come up with statements that make little if any sense and really do not protect them. Our best protection from liability is to exercise the Standard of Care required by our profession. Before releasing a survey, we should believe that we have analyzed all available evidence and that in our opinion our representation of the evidence is correct. This is after all the reason the Public needs Land Surveyors. Of course, even giving your best effort will not protect us from all liability any more than wearing a seat belt and driving carefully will avoid all wrecks. Life is just too short to worry about possible liability more than providing quality services to our clients. After all, babies will cry, heathens will rage and lawyers will sue. The statement is at best unprofessional.
by L. Brown
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Need some help 1 B. Barrett, Jr. http://www.manta.com/c/mwk14tc/john-group-internationalhttp://www.ripoffreport.com/r/John-Group-International/Atlanta-Georgia/John-Group-International-John-Group-LLC-Eric-Eaglin-Landlord-beware-this-company-wil-1104008Sounds phishy. Josh 4
by J. Lewis
Thursday, January 8, 2015
Brown Bag Lunch 8 S. North All,Another SAMSOG Brown Bag Session has been schedule, As a follow-up to requests from the previous brown bag session GDOT staff will be discussing the process to review a consultants submitted Survey Database. See below for details for the next meeting are:Date: February 18th , 2015Location: GDOT Support/Location Bureau, Round RoomAddress: 3993 Aviation Circle, Atlanta, GA 30336Time: 12:00 PM – 1:00 PMTopic: GDOT Review Process of Survey Database Deliverables (1 PDH), Staff members from GDOT will look at a survey database and go through the steps they follow when reviewing a survey database submitted by consultants. We are asking for a consultant to volunteer a database they have worked on or are currently working on (close to submittal) to be used for the brown bag session. The consultants name and project location will be removed, if interested please contact Scott North.Meetings are free and open to anyone who is interested. However, you must RSVP (scott.north@merrick.com) for each session you will be attending due to space limitations. If you have signed up and cannot attend, please be considerate by finding a substitute or cancelling your registration to allow another to come in your place.These are "brown bag" sessions. You must supply your own lunch. Snack and drink machines will be available on siteDirect your questions and comments for this event to Scott North (scott.north@merrick.com)
by S. North
Thursday, January 8, 2015
Monument Protection GA 44-1-15 6 S. Coleman STEVE COLEMAN We, as surveyors, have a responsibility to our clients. We represent that client exclusively, as does an attorney. When found to be legitimate, it is our client’s argument that must be the anchor for our devotion. I assure you that Steve Coleman knew from research (a) the location where he should set the “dogleg” corner; and (b) that setting the corner was proper and was his duty for his client. I would wager that the majority of readers are interested in Mr. Coleman’s well thought and professional remedy of pursuing statutory resolution by involving law enforcement, not to mention his extraordinary confidence. I commend Mr. Coleman for his resourceful response for his client who, I am sure, would have had no interest in paying for a quest to quell the argument of the hostile neighbor. In Steve Coleman, we have a fellow surveyor that can think “outside the box” of indentured role playing and instead, find a solution within the law. As with Mr. Cowherd’s problem in Baldwin County, it is the enforcement of our laws that provides resolution. The land surveyor must be allowed the enjoyment of equal protection under the law. The law is the law! The surveyor too, may rely upon it. We operate within the confines of budget. We rely upon our studied understanding of each job prior to quoting. Mr. Cowherd’s plans for recovery of his loss due to the unexpected, non-enforcement of existing law is but one more example of the necessary extremes requiring the attention of law enforcement. I wish him success. In the totality of useful rhetoric that finds its way to this forum, Steve Coleman’s sharing of his very unique surveying problem is, in my opinion, the most refreshing and vitally important infusion into the logical application of land surveying principles that has emerged in quite some time. Steve Coleman’s reputation and his professionalism around Monroe County is unassailable. I am sure that this distinction can be attributed to this very type of confident service to his clients. Terry M. Scarborough
by T. Scarborough, RLS
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Informal Social Gathering 4 S. North All, don't forget to come to the social gathering this Thursday at Red Hare Brewing Company. I look forward to catching up with everyone.Scott North
by S. North
Tuesday, January 6, 2015
The "Georgia Geodetic Survey" 2 L. Sears Below are the three books that were produced as a result of and that describe the Geodetic Survey of Georgia.  The first is the one described by Josh.  They describe the geodetic monuments throughout the state that existed at that time in great detail.  The Geodetic Survey of Georgia was mainly a WPA project, but had and has practical applications.  I’ve seen the first two volumes listed below offered for sale as a set on the internet for less than $100.  The University of Georgia Library has Frederick H. McDonald’s personal copy of the first volume at: Georgia Room/QB296/.U9G4.  It has newspaper clippings glued in and handwritten notes about the Geodetic Survey of Georgia and about McDonald.  The additional items below are the acts that created the Geodetic Survey of Georgia.  I took the acts from the Georgia Legislative Documents Project web site.  The copies of the acts in it were scanned using optical recognition software and are not totally reliable.  To get completely reliable copies you need to go to the published versions.          I am very familiar with Coffee Bluff Road in Chatham County.  Do you have the coordinates or other description of the monument in the picture that you can post?  If so, I can look it up in the books referred to.       Farris Cadle   Georgia. State Highway Board. Geodetic Survey of Georgia Published by the State of Georgia as a Report on Official Project No. 65-34-4581. Conducted under the auspices of the Works Progress Administration of Georgia, in Cooperation with the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, l933-l938. Edited by Frederick H. McDonald. With L. G. Simmons, technical adviser. Sponsored by Georgia School of Technology. Atlanta: Division of Highway Planning, State Highway Board of Georgia, 1938.   ---. Geodetic Survey of Georgia. Supplement. Conducted in Cooperation with Federal Works Agency, Works Project Administration, U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey and the Division of Highway Planning. Atlanta: State Highway Board of Georgia, 1942.   United States. Work Projects Administration. Georgia. State Planning Board. Geodetic Survey of Glynn County, Georgia. Published by the Glynn County Planning Board as a Report on Official Project No. 65-1-34-104. Prosecuted by the Federal Works Agency Work Projects Administration, in Cooperation with the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey and the Georgia State Planning Board. Atlanta: 1940.     ACTS AND RESOLUTIONS OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF GEORGIA 1939 PART II.--LOCAL AND SPECIAL LAWS TITLE II. COUNTIES AND COUNTY MATTERS. 1939 Vol. 1 -- Page 609 Sequential Number: 254 Short Title: GLYNN -- U. S. COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY SYSTEM ADOPTED. Law Number: No. 68. Full Title: An Act to describe, define and officially name a system of coordinates for designating the positions of points [page 610:] on the surface of the earth within Glynn County; and for other purposes.             Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Georgia:           Section 1. The system of plane rectangular coordinates which has been established by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey for defining and stating the positions or locations of points in the eastern part of Georgia and officially known by that Bureau as "The Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone," is hereby adopted for that use in Glynn County. [Sidenote: Adoption of system.]           Section 2. The plane rectangular coordinates of a point on the earth's surface, to be used in expressing the position of location of such point in this system, shall consist of two distances, expressed in feet and decimals thereof. One of these distances to be known as the "x coordinate" shall give the position in an east-and-west direction; the other to be known as the "y coordinate" shall give the position in a north-and-south direction. These coordinates shall be made to depend upon and conform to the plane rectangular coordinates of the triangulation and traverse stations of the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey within Glynn County, as these coordinates have been determined by said survey. [Sidenote: Coordinates.]           Section 3. For the purpose of more precisely defining the Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, the following definition by the United States Coast & Geodetic Survey is adopted; [Sidenote: System defined.] The Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, is a transverse Mercator projection of the Clarke Spheroid of 1866, having a central meridian 82 degrees 10 minutes west from Greenwich, on which meridian the scale is set one part in 10,000 too small. The origin of coordinates is at the intersection of the meridian 82 degrees [page 611:] 10 minutes west longitude and the parallel 30 minutes north latitude. This origin is given the coordinates: x -- 500,000 feet and y -- 0 feet The position of the Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, shall be as marked on the ground by triangulation or traverse stations established in conformity with standards adopted by the United States Coast & Geodetic Survey for first-and second-order work, whose geodetic positions have been rigidly adjusted on the North American datum of 1927 and whose coordinates have been computed on the system herein defined. [Sidenote: Traverse stations.]           Section 4. For the purpose of describing the location of any survey station or land boundary corner in Glynn County it shall be considered a complete legal and satisfactory description of such location to give the position of survey station or land boundary corner on the system of plane coordinates established by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey and defined in this Act. [Sidenote: Legal description.]           Section 5. The Glynn County Planning Board shall have authority to formulate rules and regulations for surveys to be based on the Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone and for the administration of this Act. [Sidenote: Planning board to formulate rules.]           Section 6. The use of the term "Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone" on any map, report or survey, or other document, shall be limited to coordinates based on the Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, as defined in this Act. [Sidenote: Limit of system.]           Section 7. Nothing Contained in this Act shall be interpreted as requiring any purchaser or mortgagee to rely wholly on a description based upon the aforementioned system. [Sidenote: Purchasers and mortgagees.]           Section 8. This Act is to take effect January 1st, 1940. [Sidenote: Effective date.] [page 612:]           Section 9. All laws and parts of laws in conflict here-with are hereby repealed.           Approval Date: Approved February 21, 1939.       ACTS AND RESOLUTIONS OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF GEORGIA 1941 PART II.--LOCAL AND SPECIAL LAWS. TITLE II. COUNTIES AND COUNTY MATTERS. 1941 Vol. 1 -- Page 788 Sequential Number: 269   Short Title: BRYAN -- U. S. COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY SYSTEM ADOPTED. Law Number: No. 235. Full Title: An Act To describe, define and officially name a system of coordinates for designating the positions of points on the surface of the earth within Bryan County; and for other purposes.           Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Georgia:           Section 1. The system of plans rectangular coordinates which has been established by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey for defining and stating the positions or locations of points in the eastern part of Georgia and officially known by that Bureau as "The Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone", is hereby adopted for that use in Bryan County. [Sidenote: System adopted.]           Section 2. The plane rectangular coordinates of a point on the earth's surface, to be used in expressing the position of location of such point in this system, shall consist of two distances, expressed in feet and decimals thereof. One of these distances to be known as the "x coordinate" shall give the position in an east-and-west direction; the other to be known as the "y coordinate" shall give the position in a north-and-south direction. These coordinates shall be made to depend upon and conform to the plane rectangular coordinates of the triangulation and traverse stations of the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey within Bryan [page 789:] County, as these coordinates have been determined by said survey. [Sidenote: Coordinates named.]           Section 3. For the purpose of more precisely defining the Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, the following definition by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey is adopted; The Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, is a transverse Mercator projection of the Clarke Spheroid of 1866, having a central meridian 82 degrees 10 minutes west from Greenwich, on which meridian the scale is set one part in 10,000 too small. The origin of coordinates is at the intersection of the meridian 82 degrees 10 minutes west longitude and the parallel 30 minutes north latitude. This origin is given the coordinates: [Sidenote: Definition.] x = 500,000 feet and y = 0 feet. The position of the Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, shall be as marked on the ground by triangulation of traverse stations established in conformity with standards adopted by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey for first-and second-order work, whose geodetic positions have been rigidly adjusted on the North American datum of 1927 and whose coordinates have been computed on the system herein defined.           Section 4. For the purpose of describing the location of any survey station or land boundary corner in Bryan County it shall be considered a complete legal and satisfactory description of such location to give the position of survey station or land boundary corner on the system of plane coordinates established by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey and defined in this Act. [Sidenote: Uses.]           Section 5. The Commissioners of Roads and Revenues of Bryan County shall have authority to formulate rules and regulations for surveys to be based on the Georgia [page 790:] Coordinate System, East Zone, and for the administration of this Act.           Section 6. The use of the term "Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone" on any map, report or survey, or other document, shall be limited to coordinates based on the Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, as defined in this Act. [Sidenote: Limitation.]           Section 7. Nothing contained in this Act shall be interpreted as requiring any purchaser or mortgagee to rely wholly on a description based upon the aforementioned system.           Section 8. This Act is to take effect January 1st, 1940. [Sidenote: Effective date.]           Section 9. All laws and parts of laws in conflict herewith are hereby repealed.           Approval Date: Approved March 22, 1941.     ACTS AND RESOLUTIONS OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF GEORGIA 1941 PART II.--LOCAL AND SPECIAL LAWS. TITLE II. COUNTIES AND COUNTY MATTERS. 1941 Vol. 1 -- Page 918 Sequential Number: 312 Short Title: LIBERTY -- U. S. COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY ADOPTED. Law Number: No. 400. Full Title: An Act To describe, define and officially name a system of coordinates for designating the positions of points on the surface of the earth within Liberty County; and for other purposes.           Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Georgia:           Section 1. The system of plane rectangular coordinates which has been established by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey for defining and stating the positions or locations of points in the eastern part of Georgia and officially known by that Bureau as "The Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone", is hereby adopted for that use in Liberty County. [Sidenote: Geodetic survey adopted.]           Section 2. The plane rectangular coordinates of a point on the earth's surface, to be used in expressing the position of location of such point in this system, shall consist of two distances, expressed in feet and decimals thereof. One of these distances to be known as the "x coordinate" shall give the position in an east-and-west direction; the other to be known as the "y coordinate" shall give the position in a north-and-south direction. These coordinates shall be made to depend upon and conform to the plane rectangular coordinates of the triangulation and traverse stations of the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey within Liberty County, as these coordinates have been determined by said survey. [Sidenote: Coordinates.]           Section 3. For the purpose of more precisely defining the Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, the following definition by the United States Coast & Geodetic Survey is adopted; [page 919:] The Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, is a transverse Mercator projection of the Clarke Spheroid of 1866, having a central meridian 82 degrees 10 minutes west from Greenwich, on which meridian the scale is set one part in 10,000 too small. The origin of coordinates is at the intersection of the meridian 82 degrees 10 minutes west longitude and the parallel 30 minutes north latitude. This origin is given the coordinates: [Sidenote: Definition.] x -- 500,000 feet and 7 -- 0 feet. The position of the Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, shall be as marked on the ground by triangulation of traverse stations established in conformity with standards adopted by the United States Coast & Geodetic Survey for first-and second-order work, whose geodetic positions have been rigidly adjusted on the North American datum of 1927 and whose coordinates have been computed on the system herein defined.           Section 4. For the purpose of describing the location of any survey station or land boundary corner in Liberty County it shall be considered a complete legal and satisfactory description of such location to give the position of survey station or land boundary corner on the system of plane coordinates established by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey and defined in this Act. [Sidenote: Legal description.]           Section 5. The Planning Board or Commissioners of Roads and Revenues of Liberty County shall have authority to formulate rules and regulations for surveys to be based on the Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, and for the administration of this Act. [Sidenote: Rules for surveys.]           Section 6. The use of the term "Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone" on any map, report or survey, or other document, shall be limited to coordinates based on the Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, as defined in this Act. [Sidenote: Limitations.]           Section 7. Nothing contained in this Act shall be interpreted [page 920:] as requiring any purchaser or mortgagee to rely wholly on a description based upon the aforementioned system.           Section 8. This Act is to take effect upon the date it is passed. [Sidenote: Effective date.]           Section 9. All laws and parts of laws in conflict herewith are hereby repealed.           Approval Date: Approved March 27, 1941.     ACTS AND RESOLUTIONS OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF GEORGIA 1945 PART I Amendment to Constitution of Georgia of 1877. Title I 1945 Vol. 1 -- Page 218 Sequential Number: 068 Short Title: GEORGIA COORDINATE SYSTEM. Law Number: No. 274. Full Title: An Act to describe, define, and officially adopt a system of coordinates for designating and stating the positions of points on the surface of the earth within the State of Georgia and for other purposes.           Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Georgia and it is hereby enacted by authority of the same:           Section 1. The system of plane coordinates which has been established by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey for defining and stating the positions or locations of points on the surface of the earth within the State of Georgia is hereafter to be known and designated as the "Georgia Coordinate System." For the purpose of the use of this system the State is divided into an "East Zone" and a "West Zone." The area now included in the following counties shall constitute the East zone: Appling, Atkinson, Bacon, Baldwin, Brantley, Bryan, Bulloch, Burke, Camden, Candler, Charlton, Chatham, Clinch, Coffee, Columbia, Dodge, Echols, Effingham, Elbert, Emanuel, Evans, Franklin, Glascock, Glynn, Greene, Hancock, Hart, Jeff Davis, Jefferson, Jenkins, Johnson, Laurens, Liberty, Lincoln, Long, McDuffie, McIntosh, Madison, Montgomery, Oglethorpe, Pierce, Richmond, Screven, Stephens, Taliaferro, Tattnall, Telfair, Toombs, Treutlen, Ware, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Wheeler, Wilkes, and Wilkinson. [Sidenote: Zones.] The area now included in the following counties shall constitute the West Zone: Baker, Banks, Barrow, Bartow, Ben Hill, Berrien, Bibb, Bleckley, Brooks, Butts, Calhoun, Carroll, Catoosa, Chattahoochee, Chattooga, Cherokee, Clarke, Clay, Clayton, Cobb, Colquitt, Cook, [page 219:] Coweta, Crawford, Crisp, Dade, Dawson, Decatur, DeKalb, Dooly, Dougherty, Douglas, Early, Fannin, Fayette, Floyd, Forsyth, Fulton, Gilmer, Gordon, Grady, Gwinnett, Habersham, Hall, Haralson, Harris, Heard, Henry, Houston, Irwin, Jackson, Jasper, Jones, Lamar, Lanier, Lee, Lowndes, Lumpkin, Macon, Marion, Meriwether, Miller, Mitchell, Monroe, Morgan, Murray, Muscogee, Newton, Oconee, Paulding, Peach, Pickens, Pike, Polk, Pulaski, Putnam, Quitman, Rabun, Randolph, Rockdale, Schley, Seminole, Spalding, Stewart, Sumter, Talbot, Taylor, Terrell, Thomas, Tift, Towns, Troup, Turner, Twiggs, Union, Upson, Walker, Walton, Webster, White, Whitfield, Wilcox, and Worth.           Section 2. As established for use in the East Zone, the Georgia Coordinate System shall be named, and in any land description in which it is used it shall be designated, the "Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone." [Sidenote: Land description.]           As established for use in the West Zone, the Georgia Coordinate System shall be named, and in any land description in which it is used it shall be designated, the "Georgia Coordinate System, West Zone."           Section 3. The plane coordinates of a point on the earth's surface, to be used in expressing the position or location of such point in the appropriate zone of this system, shall consist of two distances, expressed in feet and decimals of a foot. One of these distances, to be known as the "x-coordinate", shall give the position in an east-and-west direction; the other, to be known as the "y-coordinate", shall give the position in a north-and-south direction. These coordinates shall be made to depend upon and conform to the coordinates, on the Georgia Coordinate System, of the triangulation and traverse stations within the State of Georgia, as those coordinates have been determined by said survey.           Section 4. When any tract of land to be defined by a single description extends from one into the other of the above coordinate zones, the positions of all points on its boundaries may be referred to either of said zones, the zone which is used being specifically named in the description. [page 220:]           Section 5. (a) For the purpose of more precisely defining the Georgia Coordinate System, the following definition by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey is adopted. The Georgia Coordinate System, East Zone, is a transverse Mercator projection of the Clarke spheroid of 1866, having a central meridian eighty-two degrees ten minutes west of Greenwich, on which meridian the scale is set one part in 10,000 too small. The origin of coordinates is at the intersection of the meridian eighty-two degrees ten minutes west of Greenwich and the parallel thirty degrees north latitude. This origin is given the coordinates: x - 500,000 feet and y - 0 feet. [Sidenote: Definition.] The Georgia Coordinate System, West Zone, is a transverse Mercator projection of the Clarke spheroid of 1866, having a central meridian eighty-four degrees ten minutes west of Greenwich, on which meridian the scale is set one part in 10,000 too small. The origin of coordinates is at the intersection of the meridian eighty-four degrees ten minutes west of Greenwich and the parallel thirty degrees north latitude. This origin is given the coordinates: x - 500,000 feet and y - 0 feet. (b) The position of the Georgia Coordinate System shall be as marked on the ground by triangulation or traverse stations established in conformity with standards adopted by the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey for first-order and second-order work, whose geodetic positions have been rigidly adjusted on the North American datum of 1927, and whose coordinates have been computed on the system herein defined. Any such station may be used for establishing a survey connection with the Georgia Coordinate System.           Section 6. The use of the term "Georgia Coordinate System" on any map, report of survey, or other document, shall be limited to coordinates based on the Georgia Coordinate System as defined in this Act.           Section 7. Nothing contained in this Act shall require any purchaser or mortgagee to rely on a description, any [page 221:] part of which depends exclusively upon the Georgia Coordinate System. Nothing in this act shall be so construed as to require any person, firm, or corporation to use the system of co-ordinates herein provided for in order to obtain or secure a legal description of land or real estate.           Section 8. If any provision of this Act shall be declared invalid, such invalidity shall not affect any other portion of this Act which can be given effect without the invalid portion, and to this end the provisions of this Act are declared to be severable.           Section 9. All laws and parts of laws in conflict with this Act are hereby repealed.           Approval Date: Approved March 6, 1945.    
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Monday, December 1, 2014
Staking a Muti-million dollar home site on the wrong lot 1 C. Carpenter Imagine coming into the office, one Monday morning, and finding that message in your voicemail. We all make mistakes. It's not if we're going to make a mistake, the question is when and how big. The best QA/QC plan and procedures, only helps to reduce the likelihood and hopefully severity of blunders that can occur during our daily work day. Stories like this should help keep us mindful of the risk we bear, compared to the reward we get and the care we take while providing our professional services.
by J. Higgins
Monday, October 20, 2014
Records of Steed & Boyd 0 T. Pruitt, Jr. I am looking for as to whom might have the records for Steed & Boyd.
by T. Pruitt, Jr.
Monday, October 6, 2014
Important Information About the Georgia Museum of Surveying and Mapping 0 T. Turk Below is a news release sent out by the Board of Directors for the GA Museum of Surveying and Mapping recently. We have received interest from a few folks and remain hopeful that a new home can be found for our museum. Dan Crumpton has had a photographer take photos of much of the museum so we can all see what a treasure this is for our profession. Please take a few moments and take a virtual tour of our museum at this link: http://huebener.net/album/GAMOSAM/ Below is the news release: Georgia Museum of Surveying Mapping Faces Closure The Georgia Museum of Surveying and Mapping (GAMOSAM), located in Warrenton, GA, faces closure in the very near future unless a new home for the museum is located very soon. The museum was started in the late 2000’s by Mr. Dan Crumpton, a local historian, land surveyor and forester in Warrenton, GA. Dan has always had a passion for the history of the land surveying profession, and he has directed this passion into the creation of this museum. The museum was officially incorporated in 2009 and a board of directors was established at that time. The museum is currently housed in a store front in downtown Warrenton, GA, and has well over 100 valuable survey related artifacts. These artifacts include a wide range of items, including antique land surveying equipment, computers, plotters, maps, etc. Most of these artifacts were donated to the museum from land surveyors throughout the state of GA. Mr. Crumpton has announced his impending retirement from land surveying and from the museum to the museum's board of directors and has expressed his strong desire to hand off the museum to another person or entity for care and management. The Board and Mr. Crumpton are seeking someone to house and manage this museum, preferably within the state of GA. This museum is a valuable asset to our profession and our state and would have a bright future if it were to be kept together and managed appropriately. The museum's board of directors is seeking ideas for possible locations for the museum. We are asking all land surveyors within the state to please consider your community and local resources and let any member of the board of GAMOSAM know if you or someone in your community are interested in housing this museum. If we are not able to locate a new home for the museum by early 2015, we will likely lose this asset to our profession and state forever! If you are interested in this opportunity, or if you know a person or entity that may be interested, please contact Mr. DanCrumpton directly via phone at 706-465-9919 or via email at dan@crumptonplats.com.
by T. Turk
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
records of Tri County Land Surveying 1 A. Costarides I have them. I have scanned them in and indexed them; however, I have not uploaded them to GLS Archives yet. Send me an E-mail and I will gladly share what I have. Josh Lewis 4JLewis4@glsurvey.com
by J. Lewis
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Records of Delta Engineers, Smyrna 3 Farris Cadle, Inc. Tom was one of the best. I followed him on a tract that had a lake. The survey was excellent and the man in the boat fishing on the lake was a classic. When I passed the RLS, he sent a note expressing that my Father who had passed a few years before would be proud of me. I always respected his professionalism.
by L. Brown
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
Sign In
Sign In securely

Sustaining Members