SAMSOG General Discussion
|<
<
1 | 2 | 3 |
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Records or contact of Guy Wells LS 2028 0 A. McCullough I am looking for contact information or records for Mr. Guy Wells.  Thanks in advance for any help.  Aaron McCullough 770-942-0196 amccullough@hughesray.com
by A. McCullough
Friday, September 25, 2015
Records of Alvin (A.E.) Vaughn 0 M. Chastain Does anyone know the whereabouts of the records of A.E. Vaughn (later Vaughn & Drake Surveyors)?  I need a copy of a 1986 plat in DeKalb County.  Any help would be appreciated. Mark Chastain, LS   706-276-7528  mec@chastainassociates.com
by M. Chastain
Monday, August 24, 2015
Piedmont Chapter Minimum Technical Standards seminar 0 E. Cowherd Just wanted to make everyone aware that the Piedmont Chapter will be conducting a Minimum Technical Standards program, Saturday, August 22, 2015 from 8:30am to 4:00pm at the Elberton Library in Elberton, GA.  Ed Cowherd and Stacy Carroll will be leading the review and discussion of the materials.  The cost to chapter members is $25 and non members $50. 
by E. Cowherd
Friday, August 21, 2015
Original lines, conditional lines, etc. 0 Farris Cadle, Inc. I've posed this question before and have done a lot of checking, but have not found an answer.  In deed descriptions in extreme north Georgia and in states north of there, the terms "original line," "conditional line," "original corner," and "conditional corner," are often used.  From the context, an original line is a boundary created by the original public land survey, such as a land lot line.  An original corner is a corner established by the original public land survey, such as a land lot corner.  A conditional line is a boundary that was created later that is not a boundary created by the original public land survey.  A conditional corner is a property corner that was created later that is not a corner established by the original public land survey.  My question is what is the derivation of the term "conditional" in this context?  Why is it applied in this type of situation? I've seen these terms used only in deeds in the part of Georgia generally north of Atlanta, and in Tennessee and Kentucky, and they are fairly common in those areas.  I've never seen them used in deeds south of that area.  I've wondered why they caught on there and not in other areas? Thanks.
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Tuesday, August 11, 2015
LOOKING FOR DELTA ENGINEERS AND SURVEYORS OLD PLATS 3 J. Parish We have plats of Delta Engineers stamped by Tom Wilson and Wiley Busbin at Watts & Browning. Give us a call we'll be glad to try and find what you are looking for.
by V. Hammond
Wednesday, July 15, 2015
Records of Donald Milligan? 1 M. Paulk Mitch, I knew Don and I believe any records he had would reside with the companies he worked for/with during his career. This would include Lewis Heard (Heard-Prince), Joe Rowan/Southern (try Heard-Prince) and Glen Mathis, Mathis Surveying.He also worked for a time with Ken Nutt at Perimeter Surveying, but I think that was before he was licensed. At the time of his passing in the late 1990, he lived in Eagles Landing in Stockbridge. I hope this helps.
by K. Seiler
Monday, June 29, 2015
Decline in number of surveyors 7 Farris Cadle, Inc. I'm a free market guy; so I believe supply and demand will alleviate many of the salary and job availability issues listed previously. It's already starting to happen, and employers like myself are having a hard time finding qualified employees as the economy gains momentum.That said, there is no doubt the surveying profession is at a crossroads and among other things, needs to do a much better job attracting young people and college graduates. Neither of my own sons has any interest in surveying as a career. One is working on his four year degree in computer science, the other is a business major and wants to obtain an MBA. The problem starts early. Perhaps even in elementary school. Math, science, engineering, surveying,.....none of these endeavors are viewed as glamorous, and surveying in particular comes up short when competing against most engineering disciplines. I've done a lot of presentations at High School career days, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the outreach efforts needed.
by K. Seiler
Monday, June 29, 2015
Problems recording plats of existing property even with statement 4 E. Cowherd There is a Mr. Doug Hawkins listed as a registered surveyor in Georgia (although his current license status is lapsed). Out of professional courtesy you should contact him and make him aware of the law. Be sure to give him the statute for his reference. I'm confident as a fellow professional he has no intent of breaking the law.
by J. Leslie
Thursday, June 18, 2015
Plat Law & GMDs 0 L. Brown Was the omission of showing the GMDs in the Plat Law on purpose? I cannot imagine a good reason for not showing the GMD in the Headright Grant section of the state. Maybe I am missing something.
by L. Brown
Wednesday, June 17, 2015
Records of Mayes Sudderth & Etheredge 2 M. Paulk I work for Croy Engineering, and we do have all of the old MSE records.If you need anything, feel free to contact me at 770-971-5407.-Zach Buffington
by Z. Buffington
Wednesday, June 3, 2015
Hydrology Exam 3 D. Youngblood Thanks! I just got the samsog manual in and am reviewing the problems as well as from my introudction to hydrology book from college.
by D. Youngblood
Tuesday, June 2, 2015
Source for rebars and stakes 2 L. Brown Thanks for the info.
by L. Brown
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
Need DOT contact info 0 Farris Cadle, Inc. I need a copy of the deed for the right of way of U.S. Highway 17, also known as Georgia Highway 303, in Brunswick, immediately northeastward of the Turtle River.  I am unable to find it in the courthouse.  I've tried to contact the DOT to find out when this right of way was acquired, and other info about it, but all I get is recordings to leave a message and they will get back in touch, which I do, and they don't call back.  Does anyone have contact info for someone at the DOT in Atlanta who can provide this information and will respond?  Thanks in advance.
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Friday, May 1, 2015
Topcon DS 205 0 L. Atkinson I purchased a new Topcon instrument about a year ago and in December while running a traverse the angle spread between direct and reverse started widening out of and acceptable range. The instrument was taken back to the shop for calibration and has yet to be fixed, it was returned to me in February and when I set it up or tried to, I couldn't get it level or couldn't be certain it was over the point. It was returned to the shop, where it was sent to Kansas to have the manufacture check it. Since then its been phone tag and no instrument! Has anyone else experienced this level of difficulty with this instrument?
by L. Atkinson
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Update on Surveying Program Deactivation at Middle Georgia State College 2 R. Purcell What are the current options available for meeting the state's minimum education requirements? At one time Southern Poly had a certificate program and there was at least one correspondence program that met state requirements.
by J. Higgins
Wednesday, April 8, 2015
PROFESSIONALISM 1 T. Scarborough, RLS Professional Liability insurance agents tell us to never give a guarantee or a warranty. However, it appears that we have many surveyors so scare of liability that they come up with statements that make little if any sense and really do not protect them. Our best protection from liability is to exercise the Standard of Care required by our profession. Before releasing a survey, we should believe that we have analyzed all available evidence and that in our opinion our representation of the evidence is correct. This is after all the reason the Public needs Land Surveyors. Of course, even giving your best effort will not protect us from all liability any more than wearing a seat belt and driving carefully will avoid all wrecks. Life is just too short to worry about possible liability more than providing quality services to our clients. After all, babies will cry, heathens will rage and lawyers will sue. The statement is at best unprofessional.
by L. Brown
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Need some help 1 B. Barrett, Jr. http://www.manta.com/c/mwk14tc/john-group-internationalhttp://www.ripoffreport.com/r/John-Group-International/Atlanta-Georgia/John-Group-International-John-Group-LLC-Eric-Eaglin-Landlord-beware-this-company-wil-1104008Sounds phishy. Josh 4
by J. Lewis
Thursday, January 8, 2015
Brown Bag Lunch 8 S. North All,Another SAMSOG Brown Bag Session has been schedule, As a follow-up to requests from the previous brown bag session GDOT staff will be discussing the process to review a consultants submitted Survey Database. See below for details for the next meeting are:Date: February 18th , 2015Location: GDOT Support/Location Bureau, Round RoomAddress: 3993 Aviation Circle, Atlanta, GA 30336Time: 12:00 PM – 1:00 PMTopic: GDOT Review Process of Survey Database Deliverables (1 PDH), Staff members from GDOT will look at a survey database and go through the steps they follow when reviewing a survey database submitted by consultants. We are asking for a consultant to volunteer a database they have worked on or are currently working on (close to submittal) to be used for the brown bag session. The consultants name and project location will be removed, if interested please contact Scott North.Meetings are free and open to anyone who is interested. However, you must RSVP (scott.north@merrick.com) for each session you will be attending due to space limitations. If you have signed up and cannot attend, please be considerate by finding a substitute or cancelling your registration to allow another to come in your place.These are "brown bag" sessions. You must supply your own lunch. Snack and drink machines will be available on siteDirect your questions and comments for this event to Scott North (scott.north@merrick.com)
by S. North
Thursday, January 8, 2015
Monument Protection GA 44-1-15 6 S. Coleman STEVE COLEMAN We, as surveyors, have a responsibility to our clients. We represent that client exclusively, as does an attorney. When found to be legitimate, it is our client’s argument that must be the anchor for our devotion. I assure you that Steve Coleman knew from research (a) the location where he should set the “dogleg” corner; and (b) that setting the corner was proper and was his duty for his client. I would wager that the majority of readers are interested in Mr. Coleman’s well thought and professional remedy of pursuing statutory resolution by involving law enforcement, not to mention his extraordinary confidence. I commend Mr. Coleman for his resourceful response for his client who, I am sure, would have had no interest in paying for a quest to quell the argument of the hostile neighbor. In Steve Coleman, we have a fellow surveyor that can think “outside the box” of indentured role playing and instead, find a solution within the law. As with Mr. Cowherd’s problem in Baldwin County, it is the enforcement of our laws that provides resolution. The land surveyor must be allowed the enjoyment of equal protection under the law. The law is the law! The surveyor too, may rely upon it. We operate within the confines of budget. We rely upon our studied understanding of each job prior to quoting. Mr. Cowherd’s plans for recovery of his loss due to the unexpected, non-enforcement of existing law is but one more example of the necessary extremes requiring the attention of law enforcement. I wish him success. In the totality of useful rhetoric that finds its way to this forum, Steve Coleman’s sharing of his very unique surveying problem is, in my opinion, the most refreshing and vitally important infusion into the logical application of land surveying principles that has emerged in quite some time. Steve Coleman’s reputation and his professionalism around Monroe County is unassailable. I am sure that this distinction can be attributed to this very type of confident service to his clients. Terry M. Scarborough
by T. Scarborough, RLS
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Informal Social Gathering 4 S. North All, don't forget to come to the social gathering this Thursday at Red Hare Brewing Company. I look forward to catching up with everyone.Scott North
by S. North
Tuesday, January 6, 2015
Sign In
Sign In securely

Sustaining Members