|<
<
1 | 2 |
| 4 | 5
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Staff Compass and Accessories Wanted 1 T. Turk Herbert Orr has a ton of old surveying equipment - 478.986.6747
by M. Davis
Saturday, July 30, 2016
Ballard's Cadastral Map of Glynn County 0 Farris Cadle, Inc.           In 1910 the Glynn County Commissioners hired Nathaniel H. Ballard to survey and compile a cadastral map of the county, to show every parcel of land of any size and other features in the county.  Ballard completed the map in 1912.  Years ago there was a carpet-size copy of Ballard’s map hanging on the wall behind plexiglas in the tax assessor's office in the basement of the old Glynn County courthouse.  I don’t know if this was the original or a copy.  It was faded to the point of almost complete illegibility.  No one in the courthouse seems to know where it is now.  There are two reduced facsimile versions of Ballard’s map.  One is:   Glynn County Georgia Reduced Facsimile of the Ballard Map of 1912 and U. S. Eng. Dept. Data Presented to Mrs. James E. Hays, Georgia State Historian Rhodes Memorial Hall, Atlanta by Carl G. Vretman Atlanta, Ga. Sept. 23, 1941.             Copies of the above are in the Georgia Archives and in the map drawer in the Special Collections in the Brunswick Public Library.  The other reduced facsimile version, which varies somewhat, is online at http://www.glynngen.com/images/maps/1912_map.jpg           There is a book in the Glynn County record room that has this title: “Map of Glynn County 1911 by W. A. Ballard.”  This contains general and incomplete cadastral sketch maps of most of the county.  The sketch maps show property lines and contain some brief notations about ownership.           Apparently none of the above versions of Ballard’s map show all the detail that was on the original.  I’m wondering if anyone knows where Ballard’s original map, or a copy of it, is?  Thanks.
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Friday, June 24, 2016
New recording rules? 6 S. Coleman How about a law stating that if a deed or plat is illegible the Clerk of Court has 24 hours to provide the original for a surveyor or risk a civil fine?
by L. Brown
Monday, June 20, 2016
Office of County Surveyor 3 Farris Cadle, Inc.           The notion that there are certain functions that only county surveyors can perform needs to be buried into oblivion because it is unfounded.  This has been discussed previously on this Message Board.  The office of county surveyor was created by the Georgia headright act of 1783.  That act was the basic act under which all headright land grants were issued by the state, and it was in effect until 1909.  By its terms it created the office of county surveyor for the purpose of getting lands surveyed for issuing grants.  It listed no other functions for the county surveyor.  In the succeeding years, a few additional functions for the county surveyor were tacked on by legislative acts.  These were codified in the Code of 1863.           For each of the duties the Code of 1863 prescribed for county surveyors to perform, there was also a provision in that code and in later codes that if there was no county surveyor “any competent person” could perform the job.  After the licensing provisions were enacted, beginning in the 1930s, that law was amended to provide that if there was no county surveyor, any licensed surveyor could perform the enumerated functions of the county surveyor.  The present provision is in Official Code of Georgia Annotated § 36-7-13: "When there is no county surveyor, any person who is a citizen of this state and who holds a current and valid certificate of registration as a land surveyor issued by the State Board of Registration of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors may perform the duties of county surveyor, when specifically required or appointed to do so, if first sworn to do the same faithfully and impartially."           Since the repeal of the headright land grant laws in 1909, there does not need to be a person with the title of "county surveyor" to act in any capacity; and as noted above, the county surveyor has practically no duties to perform under any circumstances.  In the Savannah Morning News article cited above, Bert Barrett is quoted as saying in his almost 30 years as Chatham County surveyor he had done only one job for the county, for which he charged $250.  He could have just as well performed that job without the title of “county surveyor.”  I worked for a licensed surveyor one time who was incidentally the county surveyor.  We NEVER received any requests to do work because of his position as county surveyor.  In the nearly 40 years experience I’ve had dealing with land issues, and in reviewing numerous courthouse records on the matter, it is obvious that when persons need a job performed that falls under the enumerated duties of the county surveyor, they simply pick whoever they feel is competent to do the job and without regard to whether the person they pick is the county surveyor--and this is perfectly legal.           Incidentally, the Savannah Morning News article cited above stated that the proposed bill would abolish the office of county surveyor in Chatham County.  It did not really do that.  It changed the office to a position to be appointed by the county commissioners.  This has been done for a number of counties, including Jones County.  So the office just won't die.  Presumably, and hopefully, the county commissioners will not appoint anyone to fill the office.          
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Tuesday, June 14, 2016
MEMBERSHIP DUES 0 D. Olson TO ALL MEMBERS: Your membership will expire at the end of the month. Please remember to re-new your membership by June 30, 2016.  Thanks, Dean
by D. Olson
Wednesday, June 8, 2016
Surveyors Project Management Software? 0 T. Hoynes What are y'all using out there for PM software? Just looked up GeoAmps "PlatAmps" and they wanted $2,000 per month for it... Our firm used to use infoRetreiver years ago but looking at their website it looks like... years ago software... (looks like still on W-95). Plus they have no app integration.    /r Chip
by T. Hoynes
Tuesday, May 24, 2016
Riley, Park, Hayden & Associates aerial photo-sheet index??? 0 W. Hand Anyone know if this group is still in existence or has merged with another company? This company provided the aerial photo sheet index for our tax maps in Berrien and Lanier county back in the late 80's and early 90's. The copies on the wall are fading fast at the clerk of court/tax assessors office and Id sure like to get my hands on a legible copy.
by W. Hand
Tuesday, April 19, 2016
Stolen Equipment - Henry County 3 J. Higgins Sounds like someone has everything needed to start a survey operation. Just like they knew what they were looking for.
by L. Brown
Monday, April 11, 2016
Hydrology Portion of the State Test 2 L. Brown I took it a few months ago and passed thankfully (prob. the most stressful of the exams for me). Do not go into this exam hoping that there are more BMP/Stormwater Prevention type problems. You will find yourself lost in the middle of the exam and only able to answer questions pertaining to the green book which won't get you a passing score.  I do not want to give away to many details so I will say that from PSI's information packet about the Hydrology exam the following is listed.... CONTENT OUTLINE Subject Area % of Items DETERMINING RUNOFF CALCULATIONS 25% PIPE SIZING [STORM & SANITARY SEWERS] 20% STREET AND SITE GRADING 20% SEWER PROFILING 5% OPEN CHANNEL DESIGN [CALCULATIONS, FLOW] 10% EROSION CONTROL 15% DESIGN OF WATER DISTRIBUTION 5% That being said one of the best studying books I found was the "Introduction to Hydraulics and Hydrology with Applications for Stormwater Management" 3rd edition  by Gribbin. I used this like mad studying and working the problems to make sure I understood how to handle drainage networks, circular pipe flows, and open channel flow.   I also printed out some drainage networks that our civil engineers had done and manually did them to compare and ask questions about. The more practice problems you get the better off you are.  Hope this helps as most advice I was given was from older surveyors who had taken the exam longer ago and I can tell you this exam is way different than the old one. Be prepared  to use your calculator its not to bad as long as you prepare yourself. I unfortunately took it twice and was not prepared the first time at all.  
by D. Youngblood
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
NEW ALTA/NSPS STANDARDS 0 D. Olson New ALTA/NSPS Land Title Survey Standards will take affect on February 23, 2016. https://nsps.site-ym.com/?page=ALTAACSMStandards
by D. Olson
Friday, February 12, 2016
Records of A.O. (Alonso) Carlisle 0 T. Turk Howdy SAMSOG friends - do any of you know where Alonzo Carlyle's records are?  Any input appreciated - just email me at trent@geosurvey.com
by T. Turk
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
Stolen Equipment 0 J. Green Yesterday afternoon in Riverdale, a van belonging to a local firm was broken into and a Topcon robotic instrument was stolen. I will post more when I get the information.
by J. Green
Thursday, January 7, 2016
SAMSOG's 2016 Plat Contest 1 R. Purcell Just a Reminder that plats are due on January 3rd!!!! Please send those plats as soon as possible!!! Thanks: Roger Purcell
by R. Purcell
Tuesday, December 29, 2015
Records or contact of William Charles Ellis LS 2450 0 T. Peay I am looking for contact information or records for Mr. William Charles Ellis (LS 2450).  Thanks in advance for any help.  Thomas E. Peay III 678-355-9905 thomas@frontlinesurveying.com
by T. Peay
Monday, September 28, 2015
Records or contact of Guy Wells LS 2028 0 A. McCullough I am looking for contact information or records for Mr. Guy Wells.  Thanks in advance for any help.  Aaron McCullough 770-942-0196 amccullough@hughesray.com
by A. McCullough
Friday, September 25, 2015
Records of Alvin (A.E.) Vaughn 0 M. Chastain Does anyone know the whereabouts of the records of A.E. Vaughn (later Vaughn & Drake Surveyors)?  I need a copy of a 1986 plat in DeKalb County.  Any help would be appreciated. Mark Chastain, LS   706-276-7528  mec@chastainassociates.com
by M. Chastain
Monday, August 24, 2015
Piedmont Chapter Minimum Technical Standards seminar 0 E. Cowherd Just wanted to make everyone aware that the Piedmont Chapter will be conducting a Minimum Technical Standards program, Saturday, August 22, 2015 from 8:30am to 4:00pm at the Elberton Library in Elberton, GA.  Ed Cowherd and Stacy Carroll will be leading the review and discussion of the materials.  The cost to chapter members is $25 and non members $50. 
by E. Cowherd
Friday, August 21, 2015
Original lines, conditional lines, etc. 0 Farris Cadle, Inc. I've posed this question before and have done a lot of checking, but have not found an answer.  In deed descriptions in extreme north Georgia and in states north of there, the terms "original line," "conditional line," "original corner," and "conditional corner," are often used.  From the context, an original line is a boundary created by the original public land survey, such as a land lot line.  An original corner is a corner established by the original public land survey, such as a land lot corner.  A conditional line is a boundary that was created later that is not a boundary created by the original public land survey.  A conditional corner is a property corner that was created later that is not a corner established by the original public land survey.  My question is what is the derivation of the term "conditional" in this context?  Why is it applied in this type of situation? I've seen these terms used only in deeds in the part of Georgia generally north of Atlanta, and in Tennessee and Kentucky, and they are fairly common in those areas.  I've never seen them used in deeds south of that area.  I've wondered why they caught on there and not in other areas? Thanks.
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Tuesday, August 11, 2015
LOOKING FOR DELTA ENGINEERS AND SURVEYORS OLD PLATS 3 J. Parish We have plats of Delta Engineers stamped by Tom Wilson and Wiley Busbin at Watts & Browning. Give us a call we'll be glad to try and find what you are looking for.
by V. Hammond
Wednesday, July 15, 2015
Records of Donald Milligan? 1 M. Paulk Mitch, I knew Don and I believe any records he had would reside with the companies he worked for/with during his career. This would include Lewis Heard (Heard-Prince), Joe Rowan/Southern (try Heard-Prince) and Glen Mathis, Mathis Surveying.He also worked for a time with Ken Nutt at Perimeter Surveying, but I think that was before he was licensed. At the time of his passing in the late 1990, he lived in Eagles Landing in Stockbridge. I hope this helps.
by K. Seiler
Monday, June 29, 2015
Sign In
Sign In securely

Sustaining Members