|<
<
1 |
| 3 | 4 | 5
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Residential Survey Needs 0 T. Jones   Gentleman;  Our firm is being call multiple times per week  to perform residential surveys and residential survey type task like, locate pins, stake property lines for fence, or small boundary and topographic surveys for renovation or additions.  Unfortunately we don't have the capacity with our current work to be able to respond to these people.  I hate that but it is true. I do call back most of them but I dont have a lot of options or knowledge of who can do this type of work. I would like to refer these calls to Surveyors who want and are able to do this type of work.  If you want me to refer calls to you when we get them please email me your name and contact info and I will send them your way.  My email is tjones@lasurveying.com. Thanks Tate
by T. Jones
Wednesday, May 3, 2017
HB 76 2 M. Lincoln House Bill 76 (Sub) was pasted out of the Senate and went back to the House yesterday where it was passed out. It is now headed to the Governor's desk for signing.http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20172018/HB/76
by K. Kilby
Friday, March 31, 2017
Trimble S6 Stolen 1 C. Adams We also had one stolen a few months ago in McDonough. There is obviously a group of thieves targeting these instruments. Our truck was followed to a ChikFilA and broken into while the employee was inside eating. In broad daylight. Be careful anywhere south of airport. We found ours for sale on Ebay - but insurance had already replaced it.
by T. Turk
Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Trimble 5700 GPS Stolen Clayton County 0 B. Toole   March 6, 2017 Our truck was broken into on US Hwy 41 near North Main Street in Clayton County, just south of Morrow. Just wanted everyone to know if you're approached with a 5700 Trimble for sale it may be stolen. It's old, but still great for burning an OPUS point. Please contact me if it pops up! Thanks! Barry Toole 706-829-8304 btoole@toolesurveying.com
by B. Toole
Monday, March 6, 2017
2017 Technical Seminar 2 D. Collins It was a very good technical seminar to all of the sitting State SAMSOG officers, committee chairman and especially Ginger I appreciate everything you do to make this the best professional support organization in the state.V/rChad W. Carpenter, RLSSAMSOG Muscogee Chapter Rep
by C. Carpenter
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Four-year degree 12 M. Lincoln I agree education is important in our profession. I could probably get behind an associates degree requirement in math with the 15 hours of surveying included. If we make a four year degree requirement I believe it would be a mistake. Students would pretty much have a degree in civil engineering after 4 years. Then they would need to work for at least 4 years starting as a rodman digging up pins and cutting line. That is the only way to learn land surveying. I believe we could solve a lot of the problems in surveying if the RLS would go in the field more and stop sending field crews to do surveys that are distance measurers and don't understand the nuances of our great profession. What good will it be if we mandate a bachelors degree and the field work continues to be done by everybody but the graduate?
by A. Tomberlin
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Horlbeck and Associates 0 T. Pruitt, Jr. Does anyone know where the records of Horlbeck and Associates can be found?
by T. Pruitt, Jr.
Friday, February 10, 2017
Records of Vaughn & Drake 0 M. Lincoln Does anyone know where these records can be found?
by M. Lincoln
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Records of John F. Brewer LS 2115 3 M. Lincoln Thanks
by M. Lincoln
Tuesday, January 31, 2017
How to file a plat with your Clerk's office from your computer 0 S. Coleman The following is from my experience in recording a plat in Monroe County earlier this week.  I made sure I followed the suggestions of SAMSOG shown on the sample plat, reviewed the new Plat Act and proposed rules from the board, and then had the county sign the plat  that approval was not required in this particular case. To get set up to record plats from your computer with a county Superior Court Clerk: 1) Go to GSCCCA.org and sign in (or open an account); click on "File", then "Efiling", then "eFile Portal". 2) At the eFile portal screen, go to "Start Here" to register for an account for efiling. 3) After registering, go to menu item labeled "Support" and click on "Associate Participant ID" and read the instructions.  You have to register again to get a "Participant ID" which allows you to file a plat.  (I signed up as a "Trusted User"). 4) After you have your Participant ID, you are ready to record a plat. To Record a Plat: 1) Go to the "eFile Portal" and sign in. 2) Click on "Filings" then on "New Filing" to begin 3) Follow the instructions to upload your plat and pay the fees; plat will be sent to the Clerk of that county to review. 4) You will receive an email that the plat is under review, when the clerk approves your plat for recording, you will receive an email stating your plat was accepted and the Plat Book and Page it was recorded in. You're done! I hope I have outlined the procedure correctly, but I'm sure if I have something wrong that you can figure it out.  If I did it from scratch I know anyone else can. 
by S. Coleman
Friday, January 6, 2017
Question regarding new plat recording rules 2 S. Coleman Based on our correspondence with local clerk's office, no paper copies will be required except as necessary to get local approval from P&Z, health department, et cetera. The recording information will be placed on the plat in the 3"x 3" box by the clerk electronically after we record the plat through the e-file portal.The onerous part of this new rule is the requirement that we, as surveyors, first determine what local approvals are required and get them placed on the plat (or get signatures stating that approvals are not required, which is the exact same thing). Our work to put documents on record is going to triple. When we try to recover our costs from clients, many of them will decide not to have their plats recorded. The new rules have probably reduced the number of plats that will be put on record by 50%. Get ready to see a huge increase in deeds with long written legal descriptions and a reduction of the publicly-available information regarding property transactions.
by R. Jordan
Thursday, January 5, 2017
The deadline for 2017 Plat Contest Entries is Coming!!!! 0 R. Purcell Plat Contest Entries are due on Sunday, January 1st!!!!   Just a Reminder that plats are due on January 1st, 2017. Please send me your plats!!! Thanks: Dr. Roger C. Purcell, P.E., R.L.S. Plat Contest Committee Chairman Georgia Southern University Civil Engineering & Construction Management Department P.O. Box 8077 Statesboro, GA 30460  email: rcpurcell@georgiasouthern.edu (Note: My email has changed!) Shipping Address: Engineering Building, Rm 1120A 201 COBA Drive, BLDG 232 Statesboro, GA 30458
by R. Purcell
Monday, December 19, 2016
Stolen Equipment in Henry County 0 T. Peay One of our crews had a total station and data collector stolen today. The theft took place in the subdivision The Villages of Walnut Creek off of Jonesboro Road in Henry. They broke the passenger side window of a work truck and took the equipment in under 10 minutes.   Items Stolen:   Item________________________Description_______________Serial_____   S6 Total Station S6332200 3" Dr300 2.rGhz 92711460   Trimble Tsc2 Survey Controller Data Collector SS18A10786  
by T. Peay
Tuesday, November 1, 2016
2017 SAMSOG Plat Contest 0 R. Purcell SURVEYING AND MAPPING SOCIETY OF GEORGIA 2017 Annual Plat and Mapping Competition It’s that time again! We need your best plats! SAMSOG’s entries in 2016 were outstanding and again we had some national winners! Look at the names of the winners given below. We want to see your name as a winner in 2017. 2016 SAMSOG Plat Contest Winners  ALTA Plats 1st Place: Lewis R Shelton                                       2nd Place: Lara Crowe LRS Surveying                                                             R W Howard Surveying, Inc. Cartersville, GA                                                            Jasper, GA                                                                                            Boundary Plats 1st Place: Jason Woods                                           2nd Place: Abraham M. White Planners & Engineers Collaborative                       Accura Engineering, Inc.  Peachtree Corners, GA                                             Atlanta, GA          Topographical Plats 1st Place: Abraham M. White                                   2nd Place: Russell Howard Accura Engineering, Inc.                                            R W Howard Surveying, Inc. Atlanta, GA                                                                    Jasper, GA                 Subdivision Plats 1st Place: Russell Howard                                       2nd Place: Matthew Alexander         R W Howard Surveying, Inc.                                      Rochester & Associates, Inc. Jasper, GA                                                                     Gainesville, GA   Miscellaneous Maps 1st Place: Matthew Alexander                                 2nd Place: Lewis R Shelton Rochester & Associates, Inc.                                     LRS Surveying Gainesville, GA                                                            Cartersville, GA   GIS Maps 1st Place: Dan Crumpton                                         2nd Place: Matthew Alexander         Forest & Land Svc, Inc.                                              Rochester & Associates, Inc. Warrenton, GA                                                            Gainesville, GA           2016 NSPS National Winners Boundary Plats                                                       ALTA/ACSM Plats 1st Place: Jason Woods                                      2nd Place: Lewis R. Shelton Planners & Engineers Collaborative                   LRS Surveying         Peachtree Corners, GA                                          Cartersville, GA                                 SAMSOG’s 2017 Annual Plat and Mapping Competition This will be a juried contest.  All winning entries will be exhibited at the SAMSOG Technical Seminar in Duluth, Georgia on January 19th-20th, 2017. Map/Plat entries may be (1) Black and white (halftone/shaded) or blueline (2) Color; or (3) A high resolution JPEG or PDF.  Entrants need not be members of SAMSOG.  A member of SAMSOG must sponsor the map, plat or project under consideration and their name must be so noted on the nomination form.  The entry plat/map must have been completed after June 30, 2015 and may not have previously been entered in this contest. The entry many be freehand, machine drafted or computer aided drafted. Prizes to be awarded 1st Place $200, Admission for two to the Conference Luncheon and a Framed Certificate 2nd Place $100, Admission for one to the Conference Luncheon and a Framed Certificate Submit 6 prints for each entry with a maximum map size of 34” x 44” or email the entry form along with a high resolution PDF or JPEG (multiple entries by the same entrant can be emailed at the same time) or submit on CD-ROM if file size is too large for e-mail. (The form will be posted on the SAMSOG website.)  No multiple entries for the same category. Submissions must be a single drawing; it may originate as part of a set of drawings, however, it must be entered as a single sheet.  All entries must be received by 5pm on Sunday, January 1st, 2017.  Use one entry form per document submitted.     Download Contest Entry form. See attachment below. All entries will be judged on adherence to the minimum standards as set forth by the State of Georgia.  The judges will consider interpretability, content & layout of data shown, presentation, innovation, applicability to typical client or persons using this type of map, and correctness.  Neatness and accuracy of scale will be considered.  The decisions of the judges are final.  SAMSOG will sponsor the 1st place winners for Subdivision, Boundary, Topographical, ALTA/ACSM and Miscellaneous Categories from this competition to be entered into the national NSPS contest. (Use one entry form per document submitted.) Please send me your plats!!! Thanks: Roger Dr. Roger C. Purcell, P.E., R.L.S. Plat Contest Committee Chairman Georgia Southern University Civil Engineering & Construction Management Department P.O. Box 8077 Statesboro, GA 30460   email: rcpurcell@georgiasouthern.edu (Note: My email has changed!) Shipping Address: Engineering Building, Rm 1120A 201 COBA Drive, BLDG 232 Statesboro, GA 30458
by R. Purcell
Tuesday, November 1, 2016
Survey Pro raw file 1 M. Davis Did anyone ever help you out on this? I do the same thing to an RW5 (convert to "old-school" cgr file before reducing. Give a call. 678-859-0035
by R. Howard
Sunday, October 23, 2016
House Bill 1004 1 D. Yawn Ginger has put a link to the proposed replacement legislation on the SAMSOG home page. This is the draft that will be presented to Rep. Jasperse to submit at the start of the new session. We have support from the Association of County Commissioners, The Association that represents the cities, the Clerk's Cooperative, and unanimous support from the State Board of Engineers and Surveyors.I would like to thank all members that spent a tremendous amount of time on this draft legislation.For those who have not kept themselves familiar with the situation. The State Board and the State Attorney General have gone on record that they will not enforce the provisions of HB 1004 when it becomes law on January 1, 2017. There are several provisions that we can comply with and should comply with if not now then after 1/1/17. For instance the 3 inch square blank space at the upper left hand corner of all drawings so the clerk can/could insert the recording information in the same place by all counties - I deal with such stupid municipalities - I will probably note on any drawings specifically prepared for recording by drawing the box and putting a note underneath as reserved for the exclusive use of the Clerk of the Superior Court - or the county will put a stamp in it.I will try to get a position paper approved by the committee appointed by Phillip Roberts on what provisions of HB 1004 that we need to be in compliance with after 1/1/17 until we can get the new legislation passed.In response to the original post that was placed months prior to all that has occurred with the replacement legislation, Certification # 3 in the proposed draft legislation will be on most of your regular plats of survey of normal every day survey work. This gives your client the right to record the drawing should he desire. For those of you still pondering this, there is only one class of survey and we must be in compliance with the "Plat Act" even if it is not the surveyor's intent to have the drawing recorded in the Clerk's office.
by V. Gaddy
Friday, October 14, 2016
W.P. Bingham LS # 1151 2 M. Lincoln Patterson and Dewar acquired Bingham and Associates after Bill's death. Bryant Kachel (770) 453-1410 is the only person at their office they might have a clue about Bill's old records.
by V. Gaddy
Friday, October 14, 2016
Jekyl Summer Meeting 0 S. Coleman Although I did not attend all the meetings or the banquet, I did attend all the classes offered and thought everything went very well.  The topics were interesting and informative, the speakers were good, and the venue was top notch.  My wife was with me and we enjoyed a little time away from the day to day grind.  For the last few years our family vacation conflicted with the summer meeting but it worked out great this year.  Thank you to our leadership and Ginger for doing a great job.
by S. Coleman
Wednesday, August 24, 2016
Residential Site Plans in Atlanta 0 M. Paulk We get quite a few calls to do residential site plans in the City of Atlanta and would like to have two or three firms to refer these calls to.  It is my understanding that they can be done by a surveyor.   If you are good at doing these site plans and want me to hand out your number then email me at mitch.paulk@land.engineering with your contact info.  Thanks,
by M. Paulk
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Office of County Surveyor--2 0 Farris Cadle, Inc.            I’ve been asked to enhance the article/editorial about the office of county surveyor that I submitted under the date June 14 below and submit it for the Georgia Land Surveyor.  If any of you have anecdotes about experiences you’ve had with the office of county surveyor that shed light on the nature of the office that you are willing to share, please send them to me for possible inclusion.  For the most part the article will generalize and will not need to name sources.  However, you may specify whether you care about being named as a source, or would like to remain anonymous, and I will respect that.   If you do not wish to put things in writing, you may call, any time.           As part of this, I thought it would be interesting to find out how many counties and which counties presently have county surveyors.  Below is an alphabetical list of the counties and the office holder in each.  I obtained this from the Secretary of State Elections Division web site.  The information is not up to date.  I asked the Elections Division how I might obtain current information and was informed I would need to check with the elections commissioner in each county.  If any of you know of updates to the list below, please let me know.   Thanks. Farris Cadle 912-398-5202 fcadle@bellsouth.net   Appling--Merlin Jerry Tomberlin, Jr. Atkinson--Claude White Bacon--Everett Tomberlin Baker--vacant Baldwin--James 'J. E.' Smith Banks--Andrew 'Andy' Jordan Barrow--vacant Bartow--Daniel T. Baker Ben Hill--Darrell Weeks Berrien--John Hogan Bibb--vacant Bleckley--T. Jerry Peacock, Sr. Brantley--Harry Strickland Brooks--Ben DeVane Bryan--vacant Bulloch--John A. Dotson Burke--vacant Butts--Andy Williams Calhoun--vacant Camden--Ben Brandon, Jr. Candler--George William Donaldson Carroll--Michael E. Crawford Catoosa--vacant Charlton--vacant Chatham--vacant Chattahoochee--vacant Chattooga--vacant Cherokee--Ron R. Wikle, Jr. Athens-Clarke--vacant Clay--vacant Clayton--vacant Clinch--Kerry Tomlinson Cobb--Donald Perryman Coffee--Francis Fountain Colquitt--vacant Columbia--vacant Cook--vacant Coweta--Chris Robertson Crawford--Charles W. Aultman Crisp--Billy Raines Dade--vacant Dawson--Don C. Jones Decatur--vacant DeKalb--vacant Dodge--vacant Dooly--vacant Dougherty--vacant Douglas--vacant Early--Grady Lodge Holman Echols--vacant Effingham--vacant Elbert--vacant Emanuel--vacant Evans--Timothy 'Tim' W. Eason, Sr. Fannin--Shelly Bishop Fayette--vacant Floyd--Johnny Stewart Forsyth--vacant Franklin--vacant Fulton--Bill Daniels Gilmer--Mark Chastain Glascock--vacant Glynn--Robert Shupe Gordon--vacant Grady--vacant Greene--vacant Gwinnett--vacant Habersham--vacant Hall--Jason Lourie Hancock--vacant Haralson--Gregory Dewberry Harris--vacant Hart--Dean Teasley Heard--vacant Henry--Wayne Powers Houston--vacant Irwin--Rhett Royal Jackson--Kyle Wood Venable Jasper--Linda Jordan Jeff Davis--vacant Jefferson--vacant Jenkins--vacant Johnson--Joe Jordan Jones--vacant Lamar--James Butler Lanier--vacant Laurens--vacant Lee--vacant Liberty--vacant Lincoln--Robert 'Chigger' F. Wilkes Long--vacant Lowndes--Robin Harris Lumpkin--John Gaston McDuffie--vacant McIntosh--vacant Macon--vacant Madison--James R. Smith Marion--vacant Meriwether--vacant Miller--vacant Mitchell--vacant Monroe--Hugh W. Mercer, Jr. Montgomery--vacant Morgan--ABE-JD Woods Surveying Murray--James S. Wilson Columbus-Muscogee--vacant Newton--vacant Oconee--vacant Oglethorpe--vacant Paulding--Carlton Rakestraw, Jr. Peach--vacant Pickens--vacant Pierce--Stephen Duncan Pike--vacant Polk--W. Vann Angel Pulaski--Olin McLeod Putnam--vacant Quitman--vacant Rabun--jonathan Rolander Randolph--Bryson H. Langford, Jr. Augusta-Richmond--vacant Rockdale--vacant Schley--vacant Screven--vacant Seminole--vacant Spalding--vacant Stephens--vacant Stewart--Jimmy French Sumter--vacant Talbot--vacant Taliaferro--vacant Tattnall--vacant Taylor--Michael H. Smith Telfair--Grady Boney Terrell--vacant Thomas--vacant Tift--vacant Toombs--vacant Towns--vacant Treutlen--vacant Troup--vacant Turner--vacant Twiggs--vacant Union--James L. Alexander Upson--vacant Walker--Charles D. Wardlaw Walton--Gerald T. Batchelor Ware--vacant Warren--vacant Washington--vacant Wayne--Charles Johnson Webster--vacant Wheeler--vacant White--Eddie Hood Whitfield--Joseph R. Evans Wilcox--vacant Wilkes--Jack Edward Newsome Wilkinson--Donnie Brooks Worth--Roger Medders          
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Thursday, August 4, 2016
Sign In
Sign In securely

Sustaining Members