7/19/2018 » 7/21/2018
2018 ANNUAL MEETING & SUMMER CONVENTION

SAMSOG General Discussion
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Records of Adams-Sims & Associates 1 J. Newman Ron Wikle with Wikle Land Surveying has their records. David
by D. May
Friday, November 17, 2017
Charles Thomas "Hap" Holladay 0 T. Turk I regret to report that C.T. "Hap" Holladay recently passed away.  Many land surveyors in our state were taught by Professor Holladay when they attended Southern Tech.   He was a great mentor to many and a great supporter of our wonderful profession.  Rest in peace, Hap.   Below is the obituary from The Atlanta Journal Constitution. ~ Trent Turk   CHARLES THOMAS "HAP" HOLLADAY   HOLLADAY, Charles Thomas "Hap" Mr. Charles Thomas "Hap" Holladay, age 96, of Pawleys Island, went to his eternal rest on Friday, November 10, 2017. He passed away at home, surrounded by his family, listening to his grandson play the guitar. He was born in Pikeville, Tennessee on February 21, 1921. "Hap" was the only child of the late William Joseph Holladay and the late Lula Pope Holladay. Along with his parents, he was also preceded in death by his first wife, Ann Gailmand Holladay, by an infant daughter, Linda Holladay, and by his second wife, Patricia Holladay of Columbia, SC. He grew up in Cookeville, Tennessee, where he enjoyed Boy Scouts, building model airplanes, and reading. He received a degree in Civil Engineering from Tennessee Tech University in 1942. He served in the Army Air Force during WWII as a Meteorologist in the Pacific Theater. Following the end of the war, he worked for the Tennessee Valley Authority for a few years before becoming a Professor of Civil Engineering at Southern Technical Engineering in Atlanta (later Southern Polytechnical, now Kennesaw State University). His teaching career was interrupted when he was recalled into the military during the Korean Conflict. He resumed his teaching career at Southern Tech, where he remained for another 36 years. He served as the Department Chair for the majority of this time. He retired with the title Professor Emeritus in 1984. In addition to teaching, "Hap" was Vice President of Kucera International, an aerial mapping company. Through his work with Kucera, he was active in several professional organizations in South Carolina, Georgia, and throughout the Southeast. He retired from Kucera in the early 2000s. He lived in Pawleys Island from 2001 until his death. "Hap" was a lifetime member of the Church of Christ and a Charter Member of the Dunwoody Country Club in Atlanta, where he enjoyed playing golf on a weekly basis. Hap won several tournaments and attended the Masters Tournament in Augusta. Hap's surviving relatives include: 2 Daughters - Betsy (& Thomas) Easterly and Kathleen (& Matt) Alexander. He also had 5 Grandchildren - Shannon Easterly, Ryan Easterly, Patrick Easterly, Chris Alexander, & Stephanie Alexander. In addition, he had two Step-Daughters - Meg (& Steve) Collins and Meg (& Daniel) Cole, and there are 5 Step-Grandchildren - Joey Cole, Tori Cole, Gus Cole, Diana Antley, and Alex Antley. A Private Memorial Service will be held in late December. In lieu of flowers, Memorial Contributions may be made to the Salvation Army, your local VA Hospital, or to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Hap was a gentleman and a patriot. He will be missed by all who knew him. Condolences may be expressed at: www.burroughsfh.com Burroughs Funeral Home and Cremation Services (843-651-1440) is assisting the Holladay family with the arrangements.   Published in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution from Nov. 15 to Nov. 16, 2017
by T. Turk
Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Current Surveying Education Opportunities 1 S. Coleman Go to this University System of Georgia web page:                 https://apps.usg.edu/ords/f?p=118:1:::NO::: In the search box enter "engineering" and "surveying".  This will list the institutions in the University System that offer courses and majors in these areas.  In addition, Mercer University offers an engineering degree.
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Thursday, November 9, 2017
Comments about the Surveying Exams 2 Farris Cadle, Inc. Agreed, very well said.
by B. Bell
Thursday, November 9, 2017
The case for dropping the hydrology requirement 14 M. Chastain While hydrology is a pointless requirement, I think it would be very unwise to further reduce professional requirements in the state while every other state is heading in the other direction.
by B. Deslauriers
Sunday, October 15, 2017
Stolen Trimble S8 SN 99410149 0 D. Youngblood Well guys you can add us to the list of people who have had an instrument stolen today. At 10:50 a.m. on a construction site on Bolton Drive and Marietta Blvd. (Fulton County/City of Atlanta) our crew was around 200 ft from the instrument staking off some storm structures down a hill and naturally used a higher rod to stake the two stakes that needed to go in. On the second stake the instrument lost communication and they looked back at the instrument and it and the tripod were gone. Bolton Drive is currently all a construction site as everything is being regraded. So there are pile of dirt plus the fact that the grade change is enough they could not see a vehicle going down Bolton Drive from where they were. Anyways everyone be careful with your equipment we are going to have to get more creative in how and where we set control to try and deter this from happening again.  
by D. Youngblood
Friday, October 13, 2017
Norfolk Southern contact? 4 W. King Me: Brad Hart, LS System Engineer Real Estate Norfolk Southern Railway Co. 404.527.3414  
by D. Hart
Friday, October 13, 2017
Records of Roy Housworth 0 D. May Does anyone know who has the records of Roy E. Housworth (LS#1204)? Thanks, David
by D. May
Wednesday, September 27, 2017
NSPS Foundation Disaster Relief Fund 1 P. Sanchez At the meeting held on September 16, the SAMSOG Board of Directors voted to send $5,000 to this relief fund. Please consider sending a donation to help our fellow surveyors in their time of need.
by D. Collins
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
Records for Hensley-Schmidt 1 A. Costarides I can't guarantee but I believe Hensley-Schmidt became "Piedmont, Olsen, and Hensley", which was bought out by Arcadis, US.... I would reach out to Arcadis to inquire if they had information of these records?
by J. Stanley
Friday, September 8, 2017
A message from your President 1 D. Collins The "PLS" idea is great. Let me know if you want me to help out with our local schools. And maybe I will start showing up for chapter meetings for a change. Anything else I can do to help you, just let me know.
by S. Coleman
Thursday, August 10, 2017
Records of John H. Ringeling 0 Farris Cadle, Inc. I have a deed that gives a long metes and bounds description of a large tract of land and states the description is based on a plat made by John Henry "Red" Ringeling, Sr., Registered Engineer No. 761.  Mr. Ringeling lived in Baxley and St. Simons Island.  He died in 1999.  It appears he was not a licensed surveyor.  Does anyone know where his records are?  Thanks.
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Saturday, July 29, 2017
Thank you to Board of Directors 1 S. Coleman I second the Thanks! The packet was very helpful!
by D. Youngblood
Thursday, July 6, 2017
New Surveying-Geomatics Program at Georgia Southern University 4 R. Purcell That's great! My son graduates high school in the spring and he is excited that Kennesaw isn't his only option now if he decides to follow in my foot steps.
by A. Tomberlin
Monday, June 19, 2017
Topographic surveys outside of licensure 5 S. Johnson           If a topo is part of a boundary survey, then, of course, it falls within the scope of the practice of land surveying.  However, what about companies that do topographic mapping from aerial photogrammetry and satellite imagery?  What about situations in which local ordinances require a certain minimum ground elevation for houses and structures to be built on; so a building contractor who is employed to build a house on a lot that has to be filled in to meet the minimum elevation requirement uses a level to determine the existing elevation and how much fill needs to be added to meet the required elevation, and later checks the fill with a level to make sure it is of sufficient height?  What about a grading contractor being employed to build a pond and using a level to determine the height and width of the dam to be built, and, after the construction, checks the work with a level and other instruments to make sure it is constructed to the standards?  What about a farmer who has a grading contractor to design and construct terraces in a field?           I don't think it is practical or desirable to limit topographic work to licensed surveyors as long as property boundaries are not involved.  What can happen is for the State Board to have certain high standards for topographic surveys (which it does).  If a land owner wants a topographic survey done that meets those standards, he or she can hire a licensed surveyor to do the work, and the surveyor will certify that the work conforms to the State Board standards.  Otherwise, if lower standards are acceptable for the purpose of the work, the landowner can have anyone of his or her choosing to do the work, and the landowner may not have complete assurance that the work meets even those lower standards.    
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Friday, June 16, 2017
Samuel G. Evans,Jr. 0 S. Shepherd This is to let everyone know that Samuel G. Evans, Jr. , RLS 1159,passed on Wednesday , May 31. Sam was also a Civil Engineer and has a son, Lovick Evans. that is a RLS and PE. There is a Visitation today and Memorial Service tomorrow at 11AM,, Northside Chapel in Roswell.
by S. Shepherd
Thursday, June 1, 2017
Records of C. Sam Davis 0 D. May Anyone know who has the records of C. Sam Davis? Thanks, David
by D. May
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Records of Milton Lemon 1 D. May He is still in business. Construction Engineering Associates. He mailed a copy of the plat we needed.
by D. May
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Mule Bone? 5 M. Lincoln Does this plat by Terrell J. Cash otherwise conform to the technical standards?  I have, on occasion, seen recorded plats or drawings signed and sealed by Georgia registered engineers and landscape architects who were not registered surveyors, and recorded plats in Georgia that depicted land in Georgia that were signed and sealed by people licensed in other states but not in Georgia.  Does the seal and other information on this plat specifically indicate he is a Georgia registered surveyor?  What is his address as given on the plat?  Have you seen other plats with this person's name on them?  If this plat is illegal or fraudulent, you might also notify the landowner, the attorney who prepared deeds based on it, and the clerk of court.
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Thursday, May 18, 2017
Records of W.E. Clonts 0 M. Lincoln Does anyone know where I might find the records of W.E. Clonts LS 2166? Thanks in advance.
by M. Lincoln
Thursday, May 18, 2017
Sign In
Sign In securely

Sustaining Members