2017 Annual Meeting and Summer Convention

SAMSOG General Discussion
Moderator(s): Thomas E. Peay Jr.
| 2 | 3 | 4
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Norfolk Southern contact? 1 W. King           Is the section of right of way you are concerned with formerly part of the Central of Georgia Railroad?  When the Central of Georgia Railroad was taken over by Norfolk-Southern in 1982, all of the Central of Georgia’s records, consisting of tens of thousands of volumes and files and several thousand maps and right of way plans, were given to the Georgia Historical Society in Savannah.  The maps and right of way plans date back to 1833.  The Central of Georgia provided funding to fully catalog the collection.  The catalog itself is impressive.  It is very detailed and it is easy to look up specific things using it.  I have used the collection quite a bit.           A description of the main collection is at http://ghs.galileo.usg.edu/ghs/view?docId=ead/MS%201362-ead.xml;query=;brand=default           Descriptions of addenda and subsidiary collections are at http://ghs.galileo.usg.edu/ghs/search?keyword=&title=central+of+georgia&creator=&year=&year-max=&smode=advanced           A general list of the railroads that merged with or that were acquired by the Central of Georgia through the years is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_of_Georgia_Railway           Where in general is the section of right of way you are dealing with?  
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
11 hours ago
Thank you to Board of Directors 1 S. Coleman I second the Thanks! The packet was very helpful!
by D. Youngblood
Thursday, July 6, 2017
New Surveying-Geomatics Program at Georgia Southern University 4 R. Purcell That's great! My son graduates high school in the spring and he is excited that Kennesaw isn't his only option now if he decides to follow in my foot steps.
by A. Tomberlin
Monday, June 19, 2017
Topographic surveys outside of licensure 5 S. Johnson           If a topo is part of a boundary survey, then, of course, it falls within the scope of the practice of land surveying.  However, what about companies that do topographic mapping from aerial photogrammetry and satellite imagery?  What about situations in which local ordinances require a certain minimum ground elevation for houses and structures to be built on; so a building contractor who is employed to build a house on a lot that has to be filled in to meet the minimum elevation requirement uses a level to determine the existing elevation and how much fill needs to be added to meet the required elevation, and later checks the fill with a level to make sure it is of sufficient height?  What about a grading contractor being employed to build a pond and using a level to determine the height and width of the dam to be built, and, after the construction, checks the work with a level and other instruments to make sure it is constructed to the standards?  What about a farmer who has a grading contractor to design and construct terraces in a field?           I don't think it is practical or desirable to limit topographic work to licensed surveyors as long as property boundaries are not involved.  What can happen is for the State Board to have certain high standards for topographic surveys (which it does).  If a land owner wants a topographic survey done that meets those standards, he or she can hire a licensed surveyor to do the work, and the surveyor will certify that the work conforms to the State Board standards.  Otherwise, if lower standards are acceptable for the purpose of the work, the landowner can have anyone of his or her choosing to do the work, and the landowner may not have complete assurance that the work meets even those lower standards.    
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Friday, June 16, 2017
The case for dropping the hydrology requirement 12 M. Chastain How about a Two-Tier system? Let those who want to do design/hydraulics acquire further training.I'm in favor of increasing the educational requirements for new registrants. I posted a while back on the 4 year degree thread, so I won't repeat that, but additional educational requirements coupled with a required internship would go a long way toward helping things. This is a very different world than from back when I was a puppy, and education is the key to the future.Dale Yawn
by D. Yawn
Saturday, June 10, 2017
Samuel G. Evans,Jr. 0 S. Shepherd This is to let everyone know that Samuel G. Evans, Jr. , RLS 1159,passed on Wednesday , May 31. Sam was also a Civil Engineer and has a son, Lovick Evans. that is a RLS and PE. There is a Visitation today and Memorial Service tomorrow at 11AM,, Northside Chapel in Roswell.
by S. Shepherd
Thursday, June 1, 2017
Records of C. Sam Davis 0 D. May Anyone know who has the records of C. Sam Davis? Thanks, David
by D. May
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Records of Milton Lemon 1 D. May He is still in business. Construction Engineering Associates. He mailed a copy of the plat we needed.
by D. May
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Mule Bone? 5 M. Lincoln Does this plat by Terrell J. Cash otherwise conform to the technical standards?  I have, on occasion, seen recorded plats or drawings signed and sealed by Georgia registered engineers and landscape architects who were not registered surveyors, and recorded plats in Georgia that depicted land in Georgia that were signed and sealed by people licensed in other states but not in Georgia.  Does the seal and other information on this plat specifically indicate he is a Georgia registered surveyor?  What is his address as given on the plat?  Have you seen other plats with this person's name on them?  If this plat is illegal or fraudulent, you might also notify the landowner, the attorney who prepared deeds based on it, and the clerk of court.
by Farris Cadle, Inc.
Thursday, May 18, 2017
Records of W.E. Clonts 0 M. Lincoln Does anyone know where I might find the records of W.E. Clonts LS 2166? Thanks in advance.
by M. Lincoln
Thursday, May 18, 2017
Residential Survey Needs 0 T. Jones   Gentleman;  Our firm is being call multiple times per week  to perform residential surveys and residential survey type task like, locate pins, stake property lines for fence, or small boundary and topographic surveys for renovation or additions.  Unfortunately we don't have the capacity with our current work to be able to respond to these people.  I hate that but it is true. I do call back most of them but I dont have a lot of options or knowledge of who can do this type of work. I would like to refer these calls to Surveyors who want and are able to do this type of work.  If you want me to refer calls to you when we get them please email me your name and contact info and I will send them your way.  My email is tjones@lasurveying.com. Thanks Tate
by T. Jones
Wednesday, May 3, 2017
HB 76 2 M. Lincoln House Bill 76 (Sub) was pasted out of the Senate and went back to the House yesterday where it was passed out. It is now headed to the Governor's desk for signing.http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20172018/HB/76
by K. Kilby
Friday, March 31, 2017
Trimble S6 Stolen 1 C. Adams We also had one stolen a few months ago in McDonough. There is obviously a group of thieves targeting these instruments. Our truck was followed to a ChikFilA and broken into while the employee was inside eating. In broad daylight. Be careful anywhere south of airport. We found ours for sale on Ebay - but insurance had already replaced it.
by T. Turk
Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Trimble 5700 GPS Stolen Clayton County 0 B. Toole   March 6, 2017 Our truck was broken into on US Hwy 41 near North Main Street in Clayton County, just south of Morrow. Just wanted everyone to know if you're approached with a 5700 Trimble for sale it may be stolen. It's old, but still great for burning an OPUS point. Please contact me if it pops up! Thanks! Barry Toole 706-829-8304 btoole@toolesurveying.com
by B. Toole
Monday, March 6, 2017
Robot For Sale 1 M. Davis Is the instrument still for sale??V/rChad W. Carpenter, RLS912-271-1043
by C. Carpenter
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
2017 Technical Seminar 2 D. Collins It was a very good technical seminar to all of the sitting State SAMSOG officers, committee chairman and especially Ginger I appreciate everything you do to make this the best professional support organization in the state.V/rChad W. Carpenter, RLSSAMSOG Muscogee Chapter Rep
by C. Carpenter
Four-year degree 12 M. Lincoln I agree education is important in our profession. I could probably get behind an associates degree requirement in math with the 15 hours of surveying included. If we make a four year degree requirement I believe it would be a mistake. Students would pretty much have a degree in civil engineering after 4 years. Then they would need to work for at least 4 years starting as a rodman digging up pins and cutting line. That is the only way to learn land surveying. I believe we could solve a lot of the problems in surveying if the RLS would go in the field more and stop sending field crews to do surveys that are distance measurers and don't understand the nuances of our great profession. What good will it be if we mandate a bachelors degree and the field work continues to be done by everybody but the graduate?
by A. Tomberlin
Horlbeck and Associates 0 T. Pruitt, Jr. Does anyone know where the records of Horlbeck and Associates can be found?
by T. Pruitt, Jr.
Friday, February 10, 2017
Records of Vaughn & Drake 0 M. Lincoln Does anyone know where these records can be found?
by M. Lincoln
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Records of John F. Brewer LS 2115 3 M. Lincoln Thanks
by M. Lincoln
Tuesday, January 31, 2017
Sign In
Sign In securely

Sustaining Members