7/19/2018 » 7/21/2018
2018 ANNUAL MEETING & SUMMER CONVENTION

Recording Requirments
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

4/2/2014 at 2:18:22 AM GMT
Recording Requirments
I would like to start a discussion about the Secretary of State’s recording requirements for plat maps.   I have thought about writing on this subject for some time and with the new SAMSOG webpage now seems like as good a time as any.

First, 200 dpi in black and white just is not cutting it. Print and scanning technology is moving at warp speed and we just took a step back to the late 1700’s. The stone and copper lithographic prints were much better than what the record rooms can reproduce when the image is scanned in at 200dpi “one bit color”. That is what the state’s requirements are, one bit color. HAH!  If you don’t understand what one bit color is imagine a square of Christmas lights. Kind of like an old Light Bright toy if you ever had one. Each light represents a pixel on your computer monitor or a droplet of ink on your plotter. Under the current requirements there can only be two colors, black or white, per light. This leaves out so much detail. If you were to shade a sewer easement then all the text in the easement is lost because the computer can only show black or white. There is no shading.

Second what is the use in showing the signature in contrasting ink if the scan does not pick it up? Here is a scanned image of the first map of the city of Atlanta. It was printed in 1853, it is so much better than a modern survey printed at the record room. I know that we can do so much better that is what is frustrating.  

My 2 cents
Josh Lewis 4

Josh Lewis 4

Attached Images:

Sign In
Sign In securely

Sustaining Members