2018 ANNUAL MEETING & SUMMER CONVENTION

New Surveying-Geomatics Program at Georgia Southern University
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

5/12/2017 at 5:45:23 PM GMT
New Surveying-Geomatics Program at Georgia Southern University

Fellow SAMSOG Members:

Georgia Southern University (GSU) is pursuing a Surveying-Geomatics Education program and we need your input.  Thus, below, I am providing the goals that the new GSU Surveying-Geomatics Program will have as we move forward. In order to achieve this mission, we are enlisting financial support from SAMSOG and SAMSEF as shown below. This money will be well spent as it supports both students and the development of the new program.  

This request will be formally presented at the next SAMSOG Board & General Membership meeting on Saturday, May 20th, 2017 in Macon. Please review the following proposal and forward any questions. With your support and the support of SAMSOG-SAMSEF, we will make this new program a valuable asset for the southern part of the state.

Roger Purcell, Ph.D., P.E., R.L.S.
Associate Professor
Department of Civil Engineering & Construction Management
Georgia Southern University

Goals for the Surveying-Geomatics Program at GSU-CECM 

•  Establish new courses to complete the education requirements for Georgia PLS Licensure in Advanced Surveying, GIS, Drainage & Erosion Control and Law (and new required courses) as online or online adaptable courses.
  •   Develop a Surveying-Geomatics  (S-G) track in GSU’s ABET accredited Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE) Degree.
  •   Develop a 2+ curriculum for students with existing technical bachelor’s degree.
  •  Develop a Graduate Certificate in Surveying-Geomatics.
  •   Develop a Surveying-Geomatics specialization in GSU’s MSAE Program. (Master of Applied Engineering)
  •   Pursue the beginning of new S-G course offerings in the Fall of 2018 with a cohort of 10 students. 
  •   Implement a plan for recruitment of S-G students in order to make the new program sustainable.
  •   Support research opportunities in advancing S-G technologies including but not limited to: GIS support applications, GPS, Photogrammetric Mapping, Precise Positioning and traditional terrestrial based S-G applications.
  •  The S-G Center to take the lead in developing flexible course materials which will provide education covering the technology changes proposed by the National Geodetic Survey (NGS) for the year 2022. These NGS changes represent a tremendous opportunity for pushing the S-G profession forward.  
  •   Pursue development and support of a Student SAMSOG organization at GSU.
  •   Reach out to the SAMSOG Coastal & Golden Isles Chapters to develop a collaboration for common S-G meetings, fund raising and events.
  •   Provide research support for finding solutions to problems being experienced by SAMSOG and the surveying profession in Georgia.
  •   Pursue methods and sources of funding in order to make the S-G Program (and Future Center) sustainable.

Required Support from SAMSOG-SAMSEF
  •  GSU-CEIT-CECM and SAMSOG-SAMSEF to support 2 Graduate Assistants (Tuition & Stipend) per year for use in the S-G Program development and in teaching CENG 2231 labs.
  •  SAMSOG-SAMSEF Funding: Initial support for the S–G Program by providing $25,000 per year for 3 years. 

Attached Files: 
 Attached Images:

5/16/2017 at 12:26:55 PM GMT
This will be a great thing. I only hope that this program will also allow the flexibility of online courses similar to the way Middle Ga College offered them. Had it not been for being able to take the courses online, I would not be licensed now.

5/16/2017 at 1:10:34 PM GMT
Sounds good Roger! Thanks for your hard work on trying to get this program started.

5/31/2017 at 11:20:03 AM GMT
Great work Roger! It is good seeing the program being developed when other schools are backing away from the surveying and mapping profession. You have my 100% support.

6/19/2017 at 7:32:48 PM GMT
That's great! My son graduates high school in the spring and he is excited that Kennesaw isn't his only option now if he decides to follow in my foot steps.

Sign In
Sign In securely

Sustaining Members