7/19/2018 » 7/21/2018
2018 ANNUAL MEETING & SUMMER CONVENTION

Hydrology Portion of the State Test
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2/10/2016 at 11:38:14 AM GMT
Hydrology Portion of the State Test

This is a question on the Surveyconnect board and I don't know the answer. We did not have hydrology on the test in 85. If someone that has taken the test lately will comment, I will forward forward your comments. I am sure they will be appreciated.

Thanks

Lewis

Anyone registered in Georgia? I'm taking the test coming up and not sure what to think about the hydrology portion. Looking for some input on the difficulty/complexity of problems given on the test. I'm hoping there are more BMP/stormwater prevention type problems than mathematical calculations.

2/10/2016 at 6:13:51 PM GMT
It's been a while since I took Georgia's test, but I remember the Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission's Manual for Erosion and Sediment Control ( The Green Book) played a big part. North Carolina had a hydrology section on their test and the book Practical Hydrology by Keen was very helpful. I would recommend including those two resources in the list of study materials.

Last edited Wednesday, February 10, 2016
2/17/2016 at 5:54:27 PM GMT

I took it a few months ago and passed thankfully (prob. the most stressful of the exams for me). Do not go into this exam hoping that there are more BMP/Stormwater Prevention type problems. You will find yourself lost in the middle of the exam and only able to answer questions pertaining to the green book which won't get you a passing score.  I do not want to give away to many details so I will say that from PSI's information packet about the Hydrology exam the following is listed....

CONTENT OUTLINE

Subject Area % of Items
DETERMINING RUNOFF CALCULATIONS 25%
PIPE SIZING [STORM & SANITARY SEWERS] 20%
STREET AND SITE GRADING 20%
SEWER PROFILING 5%
OPEN CHANNEL DESIGN [CALCULATIONS,
FLOW] 10%
EROSION CONTROL 15%
DESIGN OF WATER DISTRIBUTION 5%

That being said one of the best studying books I found was the "Introduction to Hydraulics and Hydrology with Applications for Stormwater Management" 3rd edition  by Gribbin. I used this like mad studying and working the problems to make sure I understood how to handle drainage networks, circular pipe flows, and open channel flow.   I also printed out some drainage networks that our civil engineers had done and manually did them to compare and ask questions about. The more practice problems you get the better off you are.  Hope this helps as most advice I was given was from older surveyors who had taken the exam longer ago and I can tell you this exam is way different than the old one. Be prepared  to use your calculator its not to bad as long as you prepare yourself. I unfortunately took it twice and was not prepared the first time at all.  

Sign In
Sign In securely

Sustaining Members